Monitor Audio Silver RX range (Silver RS replacement)

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 786
Thought I'd share a bit of information to all Monitor Audio (and future MA fans) about their upcoming RX range to replace the RS.
What I have to share is in picture form..
In order:
-The RX1 (Rosenut)
-The RX2 (Rosenut) (slight bigger driver than RX1??)
-The RX6 (Gloss Black)
-The RX8 (Walnut)

They also have a white gloss, not sure about any other finishes.
I have yet to find a picture of the RX standmount model which has the 8 inch driver in!!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 189
Looks great, no surprise with MA though. I love the dimpled woofer that made it's way down from the Gold series.

Looks like there are going to be some close out sales pretty soon on the RS line!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2859
I like the look of the RS series better, but I'm a little biased.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 889
It's all about tastes and preferences.
I like the old ones and I like these as well. There was some criticism of the old ones looking a bit in your face and not having the grace and understated look of some of the higher end stuff. Possibly they've tried to play the more modest sophisticated look.
I do think they look more refined and understated. If they sound as good or better...then that's all the better.

Bronze Member
Username: Just_wax_it

Montreal, Quebec

Post Number: 50
When are these coming out exactly? They look better than RS.. RS6 at least is pretty good speaker for the money and after these come out even more so I figure...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2652
Based on those pictures I like the RS series better for looks. But those pictures almost look like drawings. I would have to see them in person. A trip to my local dealer will be order when they hit his floor. Hopefully they sound as good or better.

Silver Member

Post Number: 811
It's official. Hopefully in 46 days at 'sound and vision the manchester show' I'll be able to hear this new range. Nothing I can afford though, this year my finances are starting off very poor.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rx

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2963
Sorry to hear that JJ.

Be sure to post your impressions of the new line if you get a chance to hear them.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 932
I'm wondering what the X represents. The S, stood for Silver, is the new X series still going to be a Silver series or are they going to a whole new naming convention. What will the line up be...the Y? Oh, the excitement of new MA models. Hopefully, it only gets better.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2458
I like the look of the new series as they are a bit deeper, helping alleviate the square box look. I was interested in the RX8 but at 4 ohms and a max power rating of 175wts I think they could have done a little better even if efficiency is 90db.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10651
Why is that a problem MR? I don't understand.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2459
It's certainly not a problem Art, but for the top of that range, I would have thought they would have had something that would have a higher power rating.

Basically, I was looking at the RS series at my dealers as well as some offerings for KEF but I considered anything in my price range would just be a sideways move and quite possibly with little or no benefit.

I listen to a pair reference series KEF's worth around $16000AUD through a Sun tube amp and a Saturn as the source. Very nice for sure, but not worth $13000 more than my Quads that's for sure. Not for me at least, even if I had that sort of money to throw at audio stuff.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 938
Does anyone know what the X stand for...is it the X-series now? Don't know why but this is bugging me a little.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3796
The most interesting development in this series is the new porting arrangement. The ports use rifled tubes. Now, I know that rifling is used in gun barrels to stabilize a bullet's flight by causing it to spin, but I thought it did this at the expense of some velocity. With ports I thought the idea was to lower resistance, thereby decreasing 'chuffing' noise. This is why B&W use dimples on the ports (same as a golf ball).

So it would be interesting to know what the idea is behind rifling the ports.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13340
Frank, I dont see a pic or spec, things would depend on the pitch and depth of the rifling inside the port, I suppose.

An inclined plane is my favorite simple machine

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2463
George, you need to stop letting the little things in life get you down.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 941
Yes M.R. yes. I was just trying to be a little expressive. We shall find out what the X stands for in time. All good things..

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 353
Stores in my area are starting to receive stock.

Just some nice pics I've found:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankharveyhifi/

Gold Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1038
Look real nice - love the thin metal trim - neat lines. Can't wait to hear.

Have we figured what the X will stand for? I know MR, gotta take it easy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 816
Heard the RX Range at a sound and vision event yesterday. Was rather dissapointed with all the monitor audio gear to be honest, that is the RX6, the RX2 and the new radius. Other brands just ate MA alive in my opinion.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3166
What didn't you like about them JJ?

What were they driving the MA's with? That obviously makes a big difference. Then again, if they were demoing them at S&V, you'd think they'd use a compatible source.

I'm listening to my MA's right now :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3167
Driven by Bryston, of course.

Silver Member

Post Number: 818
Well David, this was one of the first rooms I went into and I actually forgot to look. Was getting into the routine you know! But I did see what the RX2s were being driven by and it was only a cheap and chearful integrated offering from Onkyo. But the speakers in general wern't as impressive as I've had thought, I think MA have done themselves on this though because they were shoved against a wall, with little space and poor equipment including stands which were too low. They gave priority to their Radius HD system which sounded a bit hollow and too 'tweaked'. The subwoofer didnt really hit that low either.

The RX6 were likely driven by something cheap if the RX2s were, I wish id looked! They didnt seem very vivacious or inspiring. They exhibited the same problem I sold my BR2s for, they didnt seem like true hifidelity. I know this may seem a bit vague, but they were too clean, a little sterile and uninvolving for me. I'd rather save my money up for some ProACs or get some cheaper offering from AE (who werent there but have never let me down in sound q.) like the Neo 3 until I could afford something significantly better.
Its a shame Rega werent there as I'd have liked to have finally heard their gear.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 366
That's too bad. Personally I'm really hoping that I love the RX2. It's the speaker that I feel like I'm probably going to buy. I'm going to start auditioning it against the B&W 685 and the Paradigm Studio 20 in about a month's time, with my own gear in some pretty good listening rooms that a couple of dealers in my area have. I should be able to hear what each of these are capable of.

When I heard the RS6 I kind of thought it was a little dry and analytical. Heard it powered by Cambridge Audio gear. Maybe that's why, I'm not sure. I still liked what I'd heard nevertheless. Dry and analytical are not always negative qualities, as long as they don't overwhelm other aspects of the sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us