$6000 Cd player for $50 ?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 887
Some people are using the playstation 1 as a Cd player - and are amazed at the quality - especially for the price. You can pick up one up on ebay for a song - but do be careful and get a working one - you know ebay, how you can be taken.

The model no. to look for is SCPH-1001.

You can read all about it here :

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/system.html

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1199576056&openflup&3&4#3

Enjoy...

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12966
Thanks for the post, JL.

It has been done to death, however.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 886
I've tried it. Pretty go and a surprise for a game system but not user friendly...I don't dig the joystick thing and from what I heard it doesn't compare with a modern day $6000 CDP much less a $1000, from what I heard.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3394
When I had a PS1 (back when they were the current console), I used it while saving money to buy a hifi CDP. It wasn't bad at all. It was far better than my housemate's Kenwood CDP.

My NAD 523 CD changer bettered the PS1 in every way. And yes, it was the 1001 and I used the RCA outputs on the back. My 523 sounded pretty bad compared to my Rega Apollo. I didn't hear the Apollo and PS1 side by side, but I'm pretty confident in saying the PS1 can't compete in any way with my Apollo, which I and a lot of others consider the definitive $1k CDP.

If it sounds as good or better than a Rega Apollo, there's a few possible reasons why - the system isn't revealing enough to show the differences or the recording quality isn't good enough to show differences. Some may prefer the PS1, but I don't think anyone can honestly say with a straight face that the PS1 is better.

If it sounds good to you, keep it. There's probably nothing better for the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us