Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2770
http://nadelectronics.com/articles/Next-Gen-AV

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10276
Interesting new products, however I still don't trust the reliability of their AVR's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2771
Reliability issues remain with NAD, but these are interesting innovations.

Have you heard of any issues with their Master Series?

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10281
Oh yeah Chris. Talked with an NAD dealer who was repairing one recently and he said it was the biggest POS he's ever worked on. He didn't think much of the Master's series. He actually liked the overall presentation of the C325BEE better than the Master's amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2772
Well that's not good, I really loved what heard from the Master Series and I actually A-B'd it against McIntosh gear, but if I recall, the speakers were rather pedestrian Boston Acoustics.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2839
What were your impressions of it stacked against the McIntosh? What McIntosh components were they?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2773
David, I really can't remember, but I remember being a bit shocked because while I've always liked the NAD sound, I hold McIntosh in the utmost regards, and I could not believe I was preferring (at least at that moment) the NAD over the Mc rig.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2842
Say it ain't so! lol.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2341
So Dave, have you seen any good prices on NAD Master Series yet?

Just kidding mate :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2845
lol... I'm done with audio purchases for a long time.

Hopefully.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2774
Yeah, that's how I felt!

After my disastrous run-in with the L53 DVD/Receiver, I've lost quite a bit of faith in NAD quality control & engineering, but damn, I do like their sound.

NAD is touting their most recent line as borrowing heavily from the Master Series:

"The C 375BEE is far more than a bigger C 355BEE -- in fact, it is much closer in spec to the M3 Integrated Amplifier from NAD's high end Masters Series."

"The C 375BEE boasts many upgrades and refinements taken directly from the highly acclaimed NAD Masters Series M3 Amplifier."

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3725
It's weird how that can happen though. In our shop we sell Denon and gave up on Yamaha some years ago. Although OK, the Yamahas had a tendency to break. The Denons proved to be more reliable (well, the denon AV receivers anyway). Our sister shop a few miles away had exactly the opposite. They had been with Denon but they tended to break so they moved away from Denon to...Yamaha! Their experience with Yamaha was that it was more reliable!

Head scratching stuff...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2775
I know NAD has a questionable track record as it relates to past reliability, but other than my experience (my L53 became unable to read discs, and a repair would cost more than a new unit!), I'm unfamiliar with systemic issues? Do they tend to overheat; are there issues with players; or is it all of the above & more?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2846
I know the C272s had issues with spontaneous combustion. I had 2 of them and they never committed suicide in such a spectacular fashion, but they sure did get hot.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12955
The failure of the power capicitors in the 272 were, and I quote from the Nad website, "quite spectacular".
Bad bunch of parts, all were replaced free.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2848
I remember that quote from the website Nuck.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12961
Honest and a sense of humour, if nothing else.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2849
Always good to have a sense of humour about things when your sh!t blows up.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2850
Speaking from personal experience...

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2347
I had the C272 luckily it had the upgraded caps. I had the C162 and C542 also. Never a problem. All great stuff for the money.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12963
And the 375Bee may be the next piece to do just that.
I wonder where the pricing falls on that one?
This modular might be pushing the pricing a bit...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2638
The Modular stuff from NAD has been out for some time now. It suppose to sound better than their previous offerings but I am not sure about this new design. Plus, yes, the pricing is much higher. Almost to the point where some sick separates could be purchased.

To add, I have owned 6 NAD products, still own two (both AVR's) and never once had any problems with any of them except with a very old used 761 AVR I had. It was fixed for 60 bucks. Count me as a lucky guy I guess.

The Kingston dealer here really likes NAD and claim their customer service with them is great. MY dealer on the other hand, is pissed at them, and claims that their techs and service have been horrible of late, and is slowly weaving out NAD for CA as their entry hi fi company.

It is nice to see NAD is making at least, better sounding gear. I guess time will tell when it comes to its actual build quality. I can think of a few hi fi companies that are just taking a crap is all aspects of their product line.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2776
I've owned 4 NAD products, the aforementioned L53 which was a train-wreck, a C740 receiver, a T512 CD/DVD, and a C440 tuner, all of which performed like champs.

The C740 remains one of the best sounding receivers I've ever heard.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us