Help! Good Speakers for a Turntable ?

Username: Jessicah

Post Number: 1
Hi

I am wondering if anyone could point me towards some suggestions of good speakers for listening to vinyl? New or used....

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 869
Hey there Jessica,

What do you have right now?
What type/model of turntable?
What type of amplifier / receiver are you using with the turntable?
What is a rough budget for the speakers - a range - under $200, $200 to $500 etc.?
What is your room like - dimensions?
Would you prefer tower speakers or bookshelf speakers?
Are you just new to vinyl, returning to vinyl?

T

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3711
Good speakers are good speakers. The type of source you use shouldn't really matter. The quality of that source does. So if you're using a ropey old Dual 505-2 then you'll get one result, whereas if you're using a Clearaudio Champion, you'll get a very different result.

Username: Jessicah

Post Number: 2
Hi
Thanks for your response!
Here are answers to your questions:

The receiver is an onkyo tx-82
The turntable is a pioneer direct drive turntable (all metal components) model # pl-570
My budget is between 200 and 500
I live in an apartment that's about 700 square feet
I have no preference in regards to speaker type
and I am returning to vinyl

Thanks!

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 878
Hi Jessica,

A number of the guys on the forum purchased the Infinity Beta 20 with decent results. They are going for a song on Circuit City - $129 for a pair. They also sell on Harmon Kardon's eBay website but there you need to bid for a chance to get them significantly lower. They are bookshelf speakers and for the equipment you have should be a decent match and at a low cost to you. Here's a link:

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=41700 69&CatId=3583

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10246
Thanks a pretty good recommendation George. Have to add a bit for stands but still pretty inexpensive.

Silver Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 879
I agree Art. Yes stands can make all the difference Jessica, if you want to get into tweaking and perfecting the sound. You can start off with just using a shelf or audio stand that is a decent height and if you decide to look further go for a pair of steel stands. If you decide to go the stand route a number of the guys on the site will be able to refer you to decent places to pick up affordable stands. Let us know what you do.

Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3720
Also consider Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. Big warm sound from a relatively small standmount.

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 63
"Good speakers are good speakers. The type of source you use shouldn't really matter. The quality of that source does. So if you're using a ropey old Dual 505-2 then you'll get one result, whereas if you're using a Clearaudio Champion, you'll get a very different result." Frank Abela

Finally said something with which I am in complete aggreement. Good advice.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12958
I bet Frank is so happy.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12959
I bet Frank is so happy that you agree.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help