New bookshelf setup

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 561
I am getting ready to unload my Athena AS-F2s due to them overpowering my living room. I think I will switch over to a two channel bookshelf setup in hopes of improving sound quality.

I am just looking for suggestions for bookshelfs in the $1000 and under range. I also will need an amp ($600 budget-if possible), so any recommendations there would also be appreciated.

I listen mostly to new age, trance, and some rock.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3691
I would switch your budget around and spend more on the amp in order to supply a better feed to the speakers which can only do what they're told by the amp.

I also hope you have a decent source since the items you're loking at aren't exactly cheap an will ruthlessly reveal a CD player that isn't particularly good.

As for overpowering the room, what size room are we talking about? Also, how close to the wall do you want to place the speakers? Note that the style of music you like to play can be pretty demanding in the bass (particularly trance). This would seriously affect your choice. In the meantime, here's some options you might want to consider:

Totem Dreamcatchers
Totem Mite
Rega RS1 (the new RS range is brilliant)
Rega RS3 (small floorstander)

Rega Brio amp (includes turntable phono stage)
Arcam A18
NAD C326BEE

The minimum CD player quality you should have would be something of the ilk of the NAD C542 (or brand new C545BEE). If you have an entry level unit instead, look to put more money there soon.

My $0.02...
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 156
Frank, just wondering what it is that you like about the RS range and what are it's weak points. The RS1 may be a speaker I consider in the near future but I would have to order it from the dealer in my area. They only have one of the tower models in store at any given time.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3364
db,

How did you come to the conclusion that you're overpowering your speakers? And if you are, wouldn't you also be overpowering the new ones?

Just trying to help you avoid spending money needlessly. If you want different or better, that's one thing, but if you're changing stuff for the wrong reasons, that's something else.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2296
Stu - he said the speakers are overpowering his living room. Could be that room treatments might alleviate his problem or part thereof. Otherwise what Frank suggested should be a consideration. Good amp, good source and a decent pair of speakers will respond in kind.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2778
Not really sure what you mean by "overpowering" your room db. Do you mean it's too loud? Turn it down! lol. Seriously though, is it too bright? Too boomy?

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
By "overpowering" I mean the floorstanders fill the room with sound even at low volume levels. I do not feel that I am using what I paid for since the speakers hardly get pushed.

I feel like I am driving a porshe through a never ending school zone.

By downsizing I am hoping that I can "test" the speakers limitations a little more and better hear the details that high end equipment produces.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3728
Hi again,

Dan, sorry I missed your question. The new RS series may look the same as the older R-series, but they are very different in a couple of key aspects:

1. They're much cleaner in the midband and treble.

2. They have much less cabinet colouration than the R-series (my main gripe of that range).

3. They're enormous fun. Now the older series wasn't bad in this respect but the better bracing and new clean sound allows the music to flow much better than before.

They're not perfect of course. They can be so clean and open that they expose the electronics even more than before.

db-bass, it sounds to me like you're in a great position. If the system is effortless when filling the room, that's a great place to be. When you hear a system 'trying', it's usually a sign that the components are getting to distortion points and eventually that just wears you out because we don't like distortion in equipment usually. Sounds to me like the system is working within its limits, which is what most people strive for.

Now, if you'd said that it fills the room easily but it doesn't grab you emotionally, that'd be a different matter - and an unhappy one...

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 626
db-bass, is it possible the room is very lively, and that is causing the perceived loudness at low volumes ? Presumably, the loudness is not a happy loudness ?

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 61
Frank, how do you know his amp is not up to the task?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12957
because it fills the room on '2'?

Silver Member
Username: Kbear

Canada

Post Number: 183
Thanks Frank. The RS1 is perhaps where I'd head next if it doesn't work out with my Quads, and if I don't buy PMC. One of these three will anchor my system for at least a few years I'm sure.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3733
Frank, how do you know his amp is not up to the task?

Baxter, a $600 amp into a $1000 pair of speakers is a recipe for a poor result. Sure, there may be exceptions but as a general rule you're far more likely to get a good result by swapping the amounts or by simply saying "I have $1600 to spend on amp/speaker combinations" and seeing what comes out of the discussion.

I hope I understood which post you were asking about.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3395
Don't get involved with that Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
I think it is more accurate to say $1600 total budget for amp/speakers.

Since i will be going with a 2.1 setup, what amp/receiver would you recommend in the $700-$1000 range?

Bronze Member
Username: Just_wax_it

Montreal, Quebec

Post Number: 52
Standmounts:

Dynaudio 52 (discontinued which means you can find it with a good price if you do a little searching very versatile and does nothing significantly 'wrong')

Quad 12 L2 (one of the most controlled, detailed and transparent out there thus system matching comes more crucial)

Swans D2.1SE (msrp $1300 currently available for $600 outstanding value for money)

Silverline Audio SR15
Havent heard them myself but only read and heard positive feedback. msrp around $2000 but every once in a while you can get them as low as this:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1253738557&/Silverline-Audio-SR1 5-Birds-Eye)

Review:
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/silverline_sr15.htm

Ultimately, like always you should audition the speakers, even though some of us take chances every now and then if the price is good enough..

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10367
db, how about a gently used Naim N ait 5i-2 with a pair of the Rega RS3's. Very close to your stated budget and would kick pretty darn good. The RS3 is a very small floorstander and fits in most rooms...though not all.

Bronze Member

Montreal, Quebec

Post Number: 56
Isnt RS3's somewhere around $1200US (tax included) already? Havent seen the newest Naim under $900US.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10368
Yes. The Naim is usually around $900 at least on Agon, however I'm sure $800-850 could be negotiated and the RS3's are $1200 however you can get it them around $1000-$1100. Close to the OP's budget as I stated. It's just a bit over but would provide excellent bang for the buck and a much better system than a budget amp with $1000 speakers IMO. He would then need to address source at a higher level.

Bronze Member

Montreal, Quebec

Post Number: 58
I agree that combo is something else. As you know I really like the R3's even they are not perfect speakers, then again which speakers are? I have auditioned the RS3's and they are different but still have that same R-series sound propably because of those paper cone drivers, which I have to add are pretty much the magic behind R-series. A combo definitely worth trying out. The R3's have certain qualities most present day speakers lack. The have character in a good sense of the word.

I almost went for those Silverline SR15's myself. Only if I didnt have other plans for the future. They seem to be one hell of a bargain and I havent read or heard anything negative about them? Any experiences?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us