Luxman Receiver Went Dead HELP!

Username: Mreilly

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a second-hand Luxman R-3055. The receiver worked great and sounded fantastic with my Bose 2.2 Series II speakers. I had it for no more than 5 days when it died on me. I was listening to some classic rock on low when it just lost power and will not turn on. I am not very tech savy. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13706

Hard to tell. If the receiver hasn't been used in a few years it could be the power supply has gone bad. Or it could be nothing more than fuses. Have you checked for any blown fuse?

Post Number: 2
I have checked the fuses and replaced 3. Now the only thing that doesn't work is the face-lights. How difficult is it to replace those in a vintage receiver?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13708

Probably not very but it might be more difficult locating the right lamps. Those sort aren't used in much nowdays.

You should keep in mind the fuses might have blown for a reason. Have you been playing music with this receiver since you replaced the fuses? No problems?

Post Number: 3
Correct. I have been listening to music for 2 days now without any issues. Again, the unit was working perfectly before. The lights were bright.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12806
Ignore the lights for now, see if the unit runs for a while.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12807
The lighting circuit may have caused the problem.

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 64
Make sure you keep a fire extinguisher handy, especially if you have been tinkering with the innards and you really don't know what you're doing. Might also be wise to be in shouting distance of someone who can render first aid.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 462
Electronic events like this always give me the willies. For the time being, I'd even unplug it when not in use, at nite or when leaving the house unattended.
Stick your nose by it, too. If it is running hot or giving off THAT smell, it's toast and needs some professional help.
While I don't see how a lamp popping could be the start of what was described, I guess anything is possible.
Blame it on Bose!
As for the lamps, I'll bet Granger has them. I hope this isn't one of those deals where it's 2 hours of labor for a 50cent part.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us