Humming sound in Rega P5 with Naim Stageline 'N' ...

Bronze Member
Username: Sourav

Post Number: 12
Hi All,

I've Rega P5 (Exact2 cartridge) connected with Naim Stageline 'N' which in turn connects to Naim 122x.

There is a humming sound as the volume knob is moved towards 12 o clock position and it increases further with increase in volume.

Is it something normal ? Or there is some problem ?

Also, I've observed that, without connecting the output from Rega to Stageline, if I have just Stageline connected to 122x there is some rushing sound which increases with increase in volume.

However, please note that, if I switch to the CD as input - there is no rushing/humming sound with increase in volume (even till max volume position).

My NAC 122x is connected to NAP 150x and that is connected with Dynaaudio Audience 72.

Any inputs/suggestions is appreciated.

Regards,
Sourav

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13679

Such noises are typically ground problems. Do you have a grounding strap run from the table to the phono pre amp? From the phono pre amp to the pre amp? Everything plugged into the same AC outlet?

These are common isues with turntables and noises. There are other threads which have detailed how to search out noises with turntables, have you checked any of those for possible solutions?

I assume one of these items is new and you are just now experiencing this noise. If so, which is the new component?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply.

Here are answers to some of ur queries.

1. I don't have any grounding strap runnning between my table to phono pre amp to preamp. Rega P5 does not have any grounding strap.

2. Yes everything plugged into same AC outlet. Is that the cause ?

3. I have not checked other threads - raher have not seen yet a one pertinent to my issue. If u can point me to any one that would be great

4. No all these components are 1 year old. Only I have changed the cartridge a month before.

5. The noise I happen to found only a day before as it is not prominent at the volume level which I typically listen to. It gets audible only when I'm not playing any vinyl, but connected to input where the phono pre amp is connected and the volume is increased to 12 o' clock position.

Regards,
Sourav

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12690
SM, it seems to be a ground noise problem. Something has been added to your gound to indu
ce noise. Have you gotten a new washing machine or refrigerator?
You need to veirify your grounds.A power condioner might fix your woes, but better to become more familiar with your wiring.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Nuck,

Thanks for your inputs.

Nothing has been added recently as Washing Machine/Refrigerator.

What exactly you mean when u say that I need to be familiar with wiring ? I have one multi plug board connected to the wall outlet. All my audio/video devices (TV, Cable Box, Power Amp, DVD player, Turntable) are connected to that multi plug board.

Regards,
Sourav

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13682

I have no idea whether all things plugged into the same outlet could be the problem. It is impossible to tell you where a ground noise can or might occur, you have to simply hunt them down and try to resolve the problem. Typically, yes, you want everything plugged into the same AC outlet but not all outlets are wired properly and that could cause problems. So, you see, there are variables that can only be investigated at your end. However, a ground noise is a steady state hum at 50/60 Hz. A "rushing" noise is more typical of the gain stages of the phono pre amp itself and probably isn't a real issue.

I can't tell you which threads to read, you'll have to do some searching on your own. Usually the title will give you a clue what the thread is about. I doubt you'll come away with less knowledge if you read a thread that isn't pertinent to your specific issue.

Are you at all certain this noise was not present before you changed the cartridge? The more information you have, the easier it is to eliminate possible causes.

It really is not uncommon to hear a "rushing" noise when the volume is raised without a signal on the phono section. If this is nothing more than generic white noise (similar to interchannel FM noise) and only occurs when the volume is raised to such a high level without any signal, then I wouldn't even concern myself with such a problem if you don't play your system at this volume setting. This would in most cases be normal for most phono stages with fairly high gain. You can go down to your dealer's shop and ask them to demonstrate how much noise is present on their system under similar conditions and judge just how far your system is from theirs. I don't think you actually have a problem if this is just the rushing noise you first described. The dealer can demonstarte the difference between phono stage noise and ground noise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks again for ur inputs Jan.

Let me clarify.

I've observed 2 types of noises in 2 scenarios.

1. Scenario 1 - My phono stage is connected to preamp and phone stage is not connected to turntable. The noise is rushing noise (as you mentioned more like FM noise). As you mentioned it may not be an issue to be worried of.

2. Scenario 2 - My phono stage is connected to preamp and phone stage is connected to turntable. The noise is then humming noise.

As you suggested trying to see at my end with all different combinations what might be causing that humming noise. No luck so far.

Also talked to dealer. I would take my TT and phono stage to them to understand what is expected and what could be the real issue.

Regards,
Sourav}

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Guys,

I observed one more point.

Even if my Turntable's is not connected with the power supply, I still get the humming noise.

It is like as soon as I connect the Left and Right Channel outputs from the Turntable (through the Rega supplied cable) to my Phono stage, I start hearing the humming at around 11 o clock position of the volume.

Regards,
Sourav

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13687

"1. Scenario 1 - My phono stage is connected to preamp and phone stage is not connected to turntable."

What's the difference between the "phono" stage and the "phone" stage?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3666
Sourav,

The rushing sound is typical of Naim's Stageline.

The humming is not. That sounds like a ground loop that was created with your new cartridge. Rega don't use a separate ground. They earth through the left hand channel's outer connection. One thing to try is to connect a wire between the earth point on the Stageline and the left channel's 'return' which is the outer ring of the phono jack, when plugged in to the Stageline. If this has no effect, the 122x also has an earth point on it. You can try to connect the left channel to that directly.

All these connections are low/no power so there is no danger of shock, but you should mute the amplifier when making and breaking any of the connections to avoid any loud bangs.

Incidentally, it could be a duff cartridge...

Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hi Frank,

Thanks for ur suggestion.

I anyway took the turntable along with the cartridge and phono stage to the dealer.

After hearing the level of noise they said it is normal. It is happening due to the high sensitivity of the cartridge/arm.

Anyway I would try out your suggestion. One thing I don't understand when you say using 122x's earthing point. Are you saying connecting the earth point of stageline to earth point of 122x or left channel of phono jack in stageline to earth point of 122x

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3673
Left channel, outer connection (not the central pin!) to the 122x earth point. So when you've slid the RCA jack into place, take a wire and touch the exposed metal of the jack (the gold bit) and then touch the other end of the wire to the 122x earth point.

...but if they said it sounded normal, then it's probably normal...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us