Using a Palm as IR remote

Anonymous
Does anybody know of a Palm Pilot model that can be used as a universall remote?

Derek
All of them can, but you will need to download some software. I used a Palm IIIe as a remote for fun. Start at www.brighthand.com and hit some of thier links.

Anonymous
thanks Derek
and will it have enough bandwith for all my components or is it limited and can you name diferent components and switch between them?

Mark
I think the Sony Clie' is a bit better suited for remote use. They have a stronger IR signal range than the Palms. (At least than the older Palms, don;t know about the the models after the IIIc. The Sony's come with basic RC software pre-installed. I don't have a Palm device anymore, I was pushed to go to the dark side and got an Axim. :)

Anonymous
sorry if I sound like I'm not living on earth but Axim? what is it?

anon
Do all the palms of all companies generally have touch screens?

Mark
Axim is Dell's PDA. Uses MS's PocketPC2003 OS. You can see it on www.dell.com

Yeah, I've never seen a PDA without a touch screen.

Anonymous
Thanks a lot mark
and the axim is capable of functioning as a remote controller as well?
Thanks a lot mark

Derek
Most of the third party software for palmtops allow you to create, place and edit any buttons you want. It's totally up to your. I seem to remember hearing that some HP/Compaqs actually came with the software.

All palms have touch screens.

Try http://www.pocketpcpassion.com.

Mark
I haven't tried the Axim as a remote control. I've been told that the range of its IR transmitter is way too low to use as a remote. You'd have to be very close to the device you want to control. But there's an add-in card that fixes that problem.

Anonymous
Mark - In short will u say it will be eficient using any Handheld as a remote or a waste of time?
Thanks again for all the help, to all

Mark
They will work, but the touch screen is too hard to use for me; I need real buttons. You can get omniremote software for the Palm series. Also, take a look at www.remotecentral.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us