McIntosh 12v Triggers

Username: Wxnet

Issaquah, Washington USA

Post Number: 3
I am trying to confirm my suspicions from the wisdoms of all you Mc owners. With some combinations of Mc source units to non-Mc preamp/processor/controller unit there is a compatibility issue with the 12v triggers. A Mc unit (like, say, an MVP 871) requires a "stereo" 1/8" power source to trip the source unit trigger out of standby to ON. I have a Rotel 1570 which has all mono jack 12v triggers. This combination (and many others which have mono triggers) will not work with Mc stereo trigger jacks. For those who have run into this situation could I assume that configuring a shielded 2 conductor cable with a stereo jack at one end (N/C for the middle conductor) and a mono jack at the other (which jacks into a non-Mc trigger port) solves the dilemma of triggering ON (out of STANDBY) a Mc unit from a non-Mc device (like a Rotel or any other processor which has mono triggers)?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13665

I would try a stereo mini-jack (1/8") patch cable first. The unused side of the stereo connection at the mono end with simply be dumped to ground and the two channel connection at the Mac will work with the connection there.

If this connection doesn't work, then you can try your scheme.

I can't guarantee your Rotel will operate the McIntosh triggers. My recollection is it requires the correct (stereo) connection at both locations to operate the Mac.

Username: Wxnet

Issaquah, Washington USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks Jan. Will try Mc cable first. Thinking that the Mc cable might pick up the ground off of the mono side (i.e. my Rotel 1570 side), but will try. If that happens I'll nip off one end and slap on a mono so that the middle stereo conductor goes to N/C and the Mc doesn't see the Rotel ground then.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us