US$ 1000 to spend in a receiver +speakers system. Which combination?

Franco
I have US$1000 to spend in a receiver and a speaker system for a small room. Which combination do you suggest?

Hawk
Franco:

Where do you live? I have some good suggestions, but I need to know if you are in North America or not.

Franco
No, I am not, but I'll be buying it in NY.

Franco
Anyone?

Derek
Here's a start: Onkyo 601 and Athena Point 5.
This will be a very versatile A/V system consistent performance, no matter what you send through it.

If you don't need multi-zone or duel VCR support, try a Denon 1604 and an Energy Take 5.2 system. These Energys will have slightly lower distortion at high volume.

This should provide plenty of volume for a small room and the satelites are relativly small.

Hope this helps.

Anyone else?...

Hawk
Franco:

Check out the Product Specials at One Call (www.onecall.com), a leading internet dealer. They have the Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver together with the Athena Point 5 speaker system (5.1) for $936.80. I can tell you this is a killer deal and the best I have seen for under $1000.00. One Call is in Washington state, but if you have a NY address they can ship to, you can make it work by having it waiting for you when you get there.

If you are physically visiting NY, try J & R Music (www.jandr.com), which has Onkyo 601 refurbs for $299.98. Also check out the Polk 6700 speaker system for $599.00 to go with it.

Anonymous
Franco:

You may find this usefull:

http://www.mastersonaudio.com/tips/20020715.htm

topr
Franco, I have auditioned both speaker packages Hawk spoke of while searching for a friend on your budget...those were two of the best I heard...another one to consider is/are the Energy Take .5 You can even find these at Best Buy for 399.00 maybe even less if you look around. You can pick up deceint JBL sub for 300.00 or so and have enough left for a receiver.

topr
Correction that would be Energy Take 5.2 not .5...Sorry Derek I missed your post, but he's right, there drivers are a little bigger and have a bit more extension, another good choice...My freind chose those, but I think that was because she liked the looks of them as much as the sound...women
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us