Best receiver under US$ 500

Rafael
Which is the best receiver I can get for US$ 500?

GT
What's your % of home theater vs music? What kind of speakers do you have and how big is your room?

There's lots of good stuff out there. Give us a little more detail about your needs.

Rafael
My room is small, but I'll be moving soon. I have JBL speakers (SCS 150).What do you think?

Hawk
Rafael:

I can think of two that I recommend if you live in North America--the NAD 742 from Saturday Audio for $449, or the Outlaw Audio 1050 available directly from Outlaw for $499.

If you don't live in North America, I highly recommend the Marantz 5300, which is usually available for around your price.

Good luck!

Rafael
Hawk,
Thanks for your help, but I don't live in North America and NAD and Outlaw are hard to find here.

Regardless of the price, how would you rank (for 50% music and 50% movies purposes) the following receivers: Onkyo TX- SR 601, Denon 2802, Kenwood VR - 6070,Yamaha RX-v640? And considering your answer, should I change my speakers system ( the ones that I can esily find here are Infinity TS 20, AR HC6 )?

Franco
Anyone?

Tim
It's not just a case of which is "best". If it were that easy, there would be a straight forward top ten.

What did you have with your JBL speakers before? Did you like it? Do you like lots of features and settings? Professional level tweaks to sound, or one-click modes (eg "arena", "theatre", "underwater")?
Do you want to biwire your speakers? Do you have other equipment to connect to it? Are you limited for space? Do you like a display full of flashing lights and buttons or an almost blank front?
Do you need coax and digital connections? Component/scart? Analogue? Phono for record decks?
Do you want separate amps for each channel? Do you intend to get a seperate amplifier? Dolby Pro Logic? 6.1? 7.1?
Is that really your maximum budget, or would you go $100 dollars higher for the right bargain (eg higher model at discount price)?

Some, all or none of the above will help you decide what is "best" for you. Tell us a bit more about your needs.

Rafael
Tim,
Thanks for your help. I am sorry that I did not mentioned all these aspects before, but as I am a complete "ignorant" on this matter, I did not even know that all such things were important. Yes, I liked the JBL system, but the truth is the receiver I had on them was not that good (an old Philips...).Features and flashing lights matter to me only if they will really have an impact on the "result". I would like to have multiroom. Yes I would prefer a small speaker system because my room is not that large and I certainly would go $ 100 higher for the right bargain.

Thankes again!

Rafael
Tim,
Thanks for your help. I am sorry that I did not mentioned all these aspects before, but as I am a complete "ignorant" on this matter, I did not even know that all such things were important. Yes, I liked the JBL system, but the truth is the receiver I had on them was not that good (an old Philips...).Features and flashing lights matter to me only if they will really have an impact on the "result". I would like to have multiroom. Yes I would prefer a small speaker system because my room is not that large and I certainly would go $ 100 higher for the right bargain.

Thanks again!

Hawk
Rafael:

Given your choices, I like the Denon 2802 the best. It has the most useable power of the receivers you listed. My second choice would be the Onkyo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us