Post Number: 1912
Upload

orange = tv area

green = pool table

dark gray = dart board

light gray = poker table

blue = ping pong table

red = bar

looking for a speaker set up that will get loud and have enough bass for a party (playing on cd player) and sound decent with the tv

people will generally be in the bar and tv areas

would like to keep most of the speakers in tv area and the left side of the room

$1,000 budget (dvd player/deck and speakers)

can you guys suggest anything? thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2577
Klipsch RF series.
Paradigm Monitor series.

What are you planning on using for a receiver?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13606

If the relative sizes of the tables and rooms are at all accurate, you'll need separate speakers for the ping pong area. Use a selectable switch on these speakers.

Look for the highest sensitivity secification of the speakers if "loud" is your highest priority, Klipsch would be a good choice.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

RE MT 15 VFL 200.1 , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1913
I was looking at the harmon kardon and denon recievers, most likely a 5.1

i was suggested by someone else to use 10,12" monitors in the TV area and fill monitors in the corners of the ping pong area

ive heard the top of the line paradigm speakers before they sound amazing, my friends dad sells/installs high end home theatre projectors, speakers, screens and has all the high end products in his house to audition but hes too far away

the paradigm speakers look like they will come within budget but would 10/12" monitors serve the purpose better?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13608

Don' get hung up on the size of the woofer - you'll buy a subwoofer for the bass. If you want volume, you need to buy the highest "sensitivity" spec you can find. It should be listed on any manufacturer's web page. Keep the impedance as high as possible - nothing dipping down to four Ohms - and the sensitivity high. That will get you volume. After that add a powered subwoofer to take care of the thump.

Basements are not typically great sounding spaces so you'll have to decide how you want to balance the purchase between "sounds good" and "plays loud".

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12401
I just imagine more than 4 speakers making a poorly timed mess of a good song, and a sub in a basement usually is overdone for music, I don't think you need a big honking sub box in there, just careful placement.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2582
The top of the line Paradigms you mention Mike will far exceed your budget.

I was thinking more the Monitor line of Paradigms, which are quite sensitive, easy to drive, and most importantly, play loud.

Klipsch will go louder, though, all things being equal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1915
ive been looking around for the Paradigms but can't really find any stores that sell them

Gold Member

Post Number: 1916
i found a good price on the Klipsch Reference Series RVX-54 towers, they have 98db sensitivity

would those work well?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2608
http://www.digitalgiftworld.com/clsc-15.html

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/cerwinvega_cls215.htm

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13624

Any speaker with a sensitivity sec above 94dB will play loud with few watts used. Every time you raise that spec by +3dB (94 to 97dB) is the rough equivalent of doubling your watts (50 to 100, 100 to 200, etc.). The question then would become whether you prefer the sound of one speaker to another.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us