2,500wattRMS 1ohm subwoofer hookup help!

Username: Jodavis

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Hello, everybody. Before reading next paragraph, keep in mind to not talk me into getting an active sub, I want to do this passively with my own amps via A/V receiver.

I am moving to my own place soon and I want to add a powerful subwoofer. I found a sub driver that comes in 2,500wattsRMS in 1 ohm!! Yes, it is for home use too. I have a Yamaha 7.1 A/V receiver with a power amp attached to power my Cerwin Vega speakers. Because of this, the pre-out FRONTS are used up for the external power amp (for the 2 ch. Cerwin Vega speakers of course). Now, on the back of the receiver, there are pre-out SUBWOOF slots. Obviously, just like the pre-out fronts, I would have to add AND FIND a power amp that's of 2,500wattsRMS for the beast! My concern is the ohm of the sub. ITS 1 OHM! I can't amp it in 2ohm? Is there any amp in 1 ohm for home use, not a car? Aghghghgh! There is a 2 ohm sub of the same brand but it's sold out. Plus, 1 ohm is better::-)))

Help.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12366
No, you can't just amp it at 2 ohms, whatever that means.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12367
Look at Behringer and Crown amps, or others I do not know about.

Do you HAVE to use such a difficult driver?

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1318
My questions would be "Why do you need a sub that is supposedly capable of 2500W RMS? Are you one of those car audio guys that thinks watts makes your pecker larger?"

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
No Chris. I just simply like bass. I have a lot of tunes that have bass crazy notes. Since when are we talking about car audio here? Buddy, my post clearly has the word A/V receiver in it. Oh, and uh, people with large watts in cars who think their d*ck will grow simply have subwoofers that actually suck. Sorry.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12371
Dude, you need a pro amp for that driver.
Again, do you have to use such a difficult load for an amp to see?
Have you looked into different drivers?
Are you going to build an enclosure to meet the specs of the driver exactly?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13600

You are saying the driver's spec is "2,5000 watts RMS" which we know means nothing. You aren't going to put 2,500 watts RMS through this driver. You understand why that is, correct? It simply isn't going to happen and that spec is about as bogus as any spec out there - not just for this driver but for all drivers. "RMS power" means nothing when it is applied to a driver.

If you simply like bass, then please explain how you went about picking this driver as the one you want. "2,500 watts RMS" doesn't say anything about how loud it will play or the frequency extension or the type and size of enclosure you must construct to make the driver work properly. Your connection of a "2,500 watt RMS" driver and your need for a 2,500 watt RMS amplifier suggest to me that you could use some education in how these things work.

At this point the "1 Ohm" doesn't matter. You are not thinking about this in a rational manner. I don't object to lots of power or lots of bass. But you don't have this worked out right. This thread almost reads like a joke. If it is, tell us and we'll all have a laugh. Otherwise, we need to start at the beginning and find what will suit your needs.

Do you understand what I'm trying to get at there. Looking at that one spec, "2,500 watts RMS" tells you nothing.

So tell us why you chose this driver and maybe we can find out what it is you really want and need other than "bass".

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12372
Dude, most of us here have built speakers from scratch at one time or another.
We have all made mistakes, some costly.
If you can better describe what you are trying to achieve, we can provide some information to make this a learning experience, perhaps a rewarding audio experience as well.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13601

How about a link to this "1 Ohm" driver you have found? Convince us this isn't just a joke thread.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12375
This will go nowhere, unfortunatly.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
Ok. Ok. No, this thread is not a joke. Sorry, I missed out a lot of details. First of all, I'm new to speakers and don't know much audio. 2) You guys said you want the link? Here it is:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-620

3) What do I want to achieve? I want to feel the bass real hard. The kind that goes right through you even if you stand 20ft. back.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12381
What are the dimensions of the room?
Have you researched the enclosure required to make this driver work, or have you looked at the values to use it in an open baffle?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13602

These are four voice coils at 1 Ohm each - it can be wired as a 4 Ohm driver.

It's also 85 dB @ 1 watt - not very sensitive.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13603

I would say you really need to talk to PE of this is the driver you want. You should be able to find an amplifier that will produce large amounts of watts at a four Ohm load, the one review says he has it paired with a QSC. However, your CV's are substantially more sensitive than this sub, that means you'll have a potential problem balancing the two systems. I am guessing you are under the impression that the more watts you can pump into a speaker, the more you will "feel" the bass. Discuss this with the folks at PE.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1319
Looks like you have a lot to learn about audio in general Julien. I suggest reading up before jumping into this project as you will be wasting lots of money.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12413
Actually, I should have read the link closer than I did, to see the quad coils...my bad for dismissing the thing.
This driver requires a very specific enclosure and porting to achieve the stated potential, although I do not doubt the power requirements, given the multiple overlapping coils.
I wold also suggest that this unit, in it's favorite enclosure would require a very good active crossover to keep coherence with any mains speaker selection, with a nod to JV's note of CV sensitivity.
Still needs a very heady amp, perhaps of the band type stuff.
However, band gear usually expects to see balanced, high sensitivity loads, even if dramatic, and 2500 wats is not cheap in any case.

Julien, this is not appropriate, at least IMO.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1326
Looks like he wasn't all that serious after all.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
no I'm serious. Sorry if I took long to respond Christopher. Ok, I wanted to mention that I am already using a crossover from the receiver. The lows are sent out of the sub-out port on the receiver and then the power amp amplifies the low signals into the sub.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13639

And you want to use this driver to build a subwoofer?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1328
Julien, I believe all you did in your last post here is describe the purpose of a "sub-out" pre-output. You have yet to describe what you actually want to accomplish; the room itself as in dimensions, architecture of the room, seating arrangement, etc; or really anything for that matter. Not to mention you have/had no idea how to read the specs of the subwoofer which leaves major doubts that you have any inkling of what you are doing or getting into. So for all intents and purposes this whole thing is a big joke.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us