Grant Fidelity B-282 Tube Buffer

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2534
I just got my B-283 (edit: the thread title says 282, it's actually 283... doh) tube buffer delivered yesterday. I spent a few hours listening to it on my 2 channel rig. There's several ways you can use it, but the way I was most interested in trying it out was between my CDP and McIntosh integrated to remove some of that digital crispness that my CA CDP has.

I have to say that that unit does what it's advertised to do, which is to inject a nice silky tube warmth into the signal chain. It also had a few other effects - most noticeably is that it widened the soundstage by quite a bit. Unfortunately one of the other effects it had I didn't like very much - it seemed to throw a slight veil over the music, smoothing it out to the point where it sounded a bit muffled.

I tried a few songs with it inline, and then the same song with it out of the signal chain. I ended up preferring the sound of my CA CDP/McIntosh combo without it. It just seemed to sound more natural, defined and sharp (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right)? I guess there's also an advantage to having fewer gadgets in the signal chain as well.

Another interesting thing about the unit is that when it's off, it isn't really bypassed, and it seems to lower the gain coming from the amp. When it's switched on it seems to increase in gain (and volume) dramatically. I think this is a design thing to make people think that the buffer is improving the sound (most people akin loudness to quality).

Anyway, it's a very well built unit, looks nice sitting on the rack and is fun to play with, but I'm leaving it out of my 2 channel system. I may try it on my HT system ,which I sometimes use for listening to music from a PC based source. It may sound cool between my DAC and receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 561
Interesting David. Using it between your cdp and amp would kind of give you two chained output stages....which might explain the veiling. What is in the unit for a tube compliment ?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12261
David, the Mac has a mains in and out, try the buffer in there.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2535
It uses 2 6J1 tubes Chris. I'm new to the whole tubes thing. These suckers are small.

Nuck, you mean put the buffer in like a loop, instead of the jumpers?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12262
Yes, run the full signal through the buffer, lessening the circuitry

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2537
That's brilliant Nuck.

Must find more IC's....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12264
Even a blind monkey finds a banana once in a while.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2539
lol.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9524
Thanks for sharing David.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1917
David, ever get the RCA connectors?

Better or worse than the Y connectors?

Just wondering.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2542
Hey Mike. Yes, I got them a long time ago. I sent you an email right after I received them. I guess you didn't get it?

The RCA connectors are WAY better quality than my Y cables. The also allow me to use short, good quality IC's to function as jumpers.

Thanks again!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1918
You're most welcome. I am glad you had those results!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13570

Why do you want "tube sound", Dave?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2546
More curious about it than anything else. And I like toys :-). Seriously, though, since I'm relatively new at this hobby I just like trying new stuff.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12269
I get to beat JV to it!

Tubes, as a platform have no 'sound'.
People who deal with tubes regularly will propose that tubes are just 'better' or whatever, but that is a call going to the video review.

Tube amps each have a platform to built upon, most from ages ago. Current materials and devices have improved the breed, to be sure, but in different ways.

It is how the designer/builder has used the most recent advances in materials and componantry that makes the difference, to make the amp an individual item. Tube rolling is the option, of course, but the stock items in proper amps are by designer choice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12270
How is the buffer working in the loop, Dave?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2547
Haven't done it yet Nuck. Don't have enough IC's to pull it off. I'm pretty interested in trying this out though.

One thing of interest is that on the Grant Fidelity site, there's a statement that says "Who the B-283 ISN'T for..." ... "people with 10k systems". lol, mine's approaching that. Maybe I'm being an idiot for putting a 200 dollar toy into at Mac system.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12272
Well you did so well the last time...

Come down here and try it in mine first.

That said, the Mac is pretty much bullet proof, it will stop the party if all goes wrong..I think?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2549
You had to bring that up, huh?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2550
At least this time I didn't blow anything up.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12274
I am relentless until you come down here for a beer.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2551
We're planning a family trip down to Southern Ontario this summer. Maybe we can work something out then!

I'll bring the beers, you provide the steaks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12275
Done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us