Athena ASF2 or ASB2 and other help needed....

Username: Spray25

Post Number: 1
Hello all.

I am looking at doing some speaker upgrading. I am not sure which fronts to go with ASF2 or ASB2.

My room is pretty big 14X27 with the main seating area 17' back. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver with Klipsch fronts(bookshelf) and center (I can't remember the model numbers but I bought them about 7 years ago), Polk R20 rears, and Accoustic design sub.

Here is what I am thinking of going to and the prices available to me:

Front Athena ASF2 $400 or ASB2 $140
Rears Athena ASB2 $140 Ar the ASR1's out yet? cost?
Center Athena ASC1 $180
Sub undecided but maybe Velodyne CHT12 $280.

Are the ASF2's worth the extra $$ above the ASB2s? I live in a rural area and it is difficult for me audition speakers. I will however be visiting a city with a Best Buy tomorrow and hope to listen to the Athena's.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 864
Yes, the ASF2 is worth the extra money over the B2s specially with the room size.

F-ASF2---most definitely better than the bookshelves.
C-ASC1
R-ASB2---the ASR1 are supposed to have been out a month or so back but i haven't seen them, nor heard them so I can't make a call on that

Nice call on the Velodyne, but I'll get the 10 inch over the 12's...just a personal thing, tighter bass in my opinion, but if you can get a HSU, pick one up.

cheers

Username: Spray25

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny for the feedback. It looks like the ASF2's are the ticket. Do you think the CHT10 is big enough for my room? There isn't much cost diferrence between the 10 and the 12.

I was mistaken as to which Polks I have in the back. I have the RTI28s not the R20s. I am happy with them so I think I will keep them as my rears. Although, Best Buy does show the ASR1s on the website...... We'll have to see how those sound. What is your general opinino of bipoles vs. traditional surrounds?

My current fronts are Klipsch and say KG1.5 The center is KV2.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us