Cannot play MP3s through digital out!

Username: Jonswar

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 1
I expect I'm missing something obvious. I have a Panasonic SA-XR50 amp and a PC with Windows 2K and an ASUS P4P800. I want to play mp3s via iTunes from the PC to the amp via a digital coax cable.

I first tried a Xitel USB Pro Hi-Fi Link. This worked, but the music cut out every minute or so for one-two second pauses. I thought this might be because USB relies on the CPU.

I then realized that the ASUS P4P800 has a digital out coax jack. So I returned the Xitel and tried going directly from the motherboard. Nothing - no sound. RCA cables from the regular 1/8" output jack to the "tape in" on the amp work fine, but I want a digital connection, dammit!

Finally I bought an m-audio revolution 7.1 sound card, figuring that the sound would be better than the on-board anyway. Installed the drivers. Still nothing, regardless of which coax connector (DVD or CD) I use on the amp. Again, if I connect via RCA cables from the regular 1/8" output jack on the sound card to the "tape in" on the receiver, it works fine.

Do I have to configure iTunes or my PC to output sound out of the digital port? There is infuriatingly little information in the manuals for the sound card or Windows 2K about this, which makes me believe it should "just work", but it doesn't.

Any advice appreciated!
TIA
Jon

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 863
because the tunes are putting out analog audio and not digital. Is there sound coming out of your speakers??

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 2
There is no sound coming out of my speakers when I've got it hooked up digital coax <-> digital coax. The sound is fine with the 1/8 jack <-> RCA jacks. What do I need to do to make the tunes put out digital audio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 897
you can't, mp3 IS digital, the computer is converting it to analog to be played on your speakers. What kind of digital output are looking for? A 5.1 signal, surround effects???

The only time it will put out digital sound throught the digital output is if your a playing 5.1 encoded music source. MP3s are not encoded for 5.1.

Silver Member

Post Number: 898
you can't, mp3 IS digital, the computer is converting it to analog to be played on your speakers. It is bypassing your sound card because it is not encoded properly and goes direct to analog conversion. What kind of digital output are looking for? A 5.1 signal, surround effects???

The only time it will put out digital sound through the digital output is if your a playing 5.1 encoded music source. MP3s are not encoded for 5.1.

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 3
I'm not looking for a 5.1 signal or surround effects - just a digital signal that can go into the digital coax input on my amplifier. As I understand it, this should eliminating the need for any digital-to-audio conversion. This is one of the main reasons I got the Panasonic SA-XR 50 in the first place. Am I underestimating the sound quality benefit of this?

I was able to make this work with the Xitel USB Pro Hi-Fi Link, so at least I know a purely digital connection is possible. But perhaps the Pro Hi-Fi Link is doing something my sound card isn't.

Silver Member

Post Number: 931
I think you have found your answer.

Ralph Purtcher
Unregistered guest
In the M-Audio Revolution Control Panel (on the task bar), you must change "Current Set" to Digital. If it is set to 7.1 or 5.1 you won't get digital sound.

Username: Bodnar11

Post Number: 1
I am experiencing a similar problem. I have the same receiver connected to a creative audigy 2 in a PC running winXP. Any help extremely appreciated, thanks

Unregistered guest
I could use some HELP! I was useing XITEL PRO for 2 mts. with no problems, and then none of my A/V players would work ( not respond ) and after that internet exp. and outlook exp. started not responding.....Unpluged USB cable on PRO-HI-FI PC worked fine.. Could not get any sound fron PRO HI-FI, Tried all of XITEL tips with no luck.. Its weird, worked fine and not touched for 2 mts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us