KEF XQ5 and Q7 Auditioned

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 146
While auditioning some other speakers today, I comparison reviewed some KEFs. For $3000 I wouldn't recommend the XQ5 UNLESS, someone was looking for an overly polite, tonally dull, unrevealing, smooth, tall speaker. The super-tweeter sits atop the tower; which I find ungainly. They were certainly none too willing in upper end or lower detail. But, not horrid.
For less than 1/2 the price, the Q7 features the Uni-q with the polystyrene type driver material and that driver material imposes it's OWN sound. They have good heft and weight in the lower end, but the cabinets thrum. The midrange was adequate and no better, ditto for the upper end - reasonable but no etching of detail or super detail. I was anxious to hear the new "racetrack" woofer anyway. I noted the KEF Qs have virtually the same cabinet as the Wharfedale Opus, which is wild. As usual KEFs play loudly with no sense of strain. For $1300 Q7 would require some auditioning to justify for sure. They were'nt awful, but there is some shrillness from that polystyrene driver material and some reticent behavior in the upper end. The XQ5 reminded me of my old 104.2s. A different KEF dealer stated the Q series was "cheap KEF drivers in cheap KEF cabinets" - it's partially true I'm afraid.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us