Yamaha AV Receiver Drops Audio

Username: Ddoerr

Post Number: 1
I have a brand new Yamaha receiver with 4 in, 1 out HDMI ports. I have hooked up my Scientific Atlanta Cable/DVR running into it via HDMI. I have an HDMI connection from the receiver to my Panasonic plasma as well. While watching TV, the video is fine but the audio (from the receiver) randomly drops out for a split second. It never drops out for more than a second or so and it is totally random no matter what channel I'm watching or how loud it is. I have tried switching to a different HDMI cable and that didn't help. Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 650
Check to see if this problem occurs while playing a DVD or other sources. If the problem only exist while using the cable box only try unplugging the cable box while it is on, wait 15 second and replug it in to reboot the box. If this doesn't work you could try component cables with a digital connection to see if the HDMI is not getting a good hand shake.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13552

Geez, when I was learning this stuff the gear we had would blow now it's got down to a handshake. There's no future for this hobby.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12202
hehehe

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12203
Doug, iIwould be talking to my dealer about this, thats why you bought from a dealer, right?
Or at least the store.

Username: Ddoerr

Post Number: 2
Believe it or not, I went with the "power down the DVR" option and it worked! I unplugged the unit for about a minute, plugged everything back in and haven't had any problems since then - knock on wood! Thanks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12210
Is it programmed by Microsoft??

Good stuff DD!

Username: Canuckbedrock

Regina, Sask Canada

Post Number: 2
I think your audio problem is the fact your cable TV supplier does not support HDMI hookups..try replacing the HDMI from box to receiver with composite ones and separate digital audio out and see if sound is better..shouldnt be much change, if at all, in picture quality..the lack of support is found all over US and Canada, it happened to my girlfriends hookups and the component cables solved the problems..good luck...Chris O.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12602
for what it's worth I have a similar problem with an onkyo receiver and direcTV DVR.
It turns out (after a LOT of toubleshooting) that it's an issue with decoding DD.

If you want to test this theory for yourself, go into the cable box setup screens, and turn off Dolby Digital output. Have it use straight PCM/stereo, and just tell the AVR to use some form of PLII or something for the time being to similate multi-channel.

See if audio still drops out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us