Which entry level phono stage, Graham slee or PJ Tube?

Username: Gbb

Post Number: 7
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a decent phono stage, and in my price range it seems to boil down to the Pro-ject tube box or the graham slee amp 2 SE, both used. At the moment I'm using the om-5 cart that came w my pro-ject debut, so MM, and am not sure if and when I'll try MC. I've read the reviews of the graham which claim its dedication to MM gives it an edge soundwise over similar phono stages that cater to both. Have you all found this to be true? I'm also curious about how much of a tube sound one can get from a phono stage alone. Anyway, any and all help is appreciated.

GB

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3273
It all depends on your preference. It also depends on the rest of your system and if its resolving enough to show differences.

I'd assume their would be an advantage to an MM only pre-amp, but I haven't heard that pre to say anything either way. Its pretty well respected.

At this price range, take a look at the Simaudio LP3. I've heard it and it sounds excellent. According to a few dealers that carry it, its the one to beat at its price and higher. Those dealers carry very good stuff above and below its cost, and 2 claim its their best selling one by a long shot.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3274
Also keep in mind that if you get an MM only phono stage, it'll limit what cartridges are available to you down the road unless you're willing to swap it out.

There are some excellent MC cartridges out there for a very good price. Especially the Dynavector 10x5 (I own it and feel the need to push it).

Speaking of Dynavector, their phono stage is phenominal. They typically turn up on the used market under what I'm assuming is your price range.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 700
Also keep in mind that many high output MC carts will work with an MM phono stage, including the Dynavector 10x5.

Username: Dhand

Post Number: 2
I'm going through a similar decision process. I was able to demo the ProJect SEII, which was a definite step up from the ProJect PhoneBox I currently have. Any thoughts on if the TubeBox is worth the $100 price delta? In other words, is it just a tube vs. solid state preference or is there a demonstated difference between the two (if anyone has heard both)?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us