NAD 2200 Power amp on the way

Bronze Member
Username: Oknessad

Post Number: 60
Well I accidentally won a 2200 on ebay the other day (i just put in a small bid above the minimum and no one bid against me... so now I'm the proud owner!) and now I'm wondering if I should keep it or sell for a profit? I have a T752 which seems to be plenty powerful for my needs but the 2200 boasts peak levels of 400 watts into 8 ohms which is quite impressive. Anyone here had experience with the 2200 and if it is clean sounding etc? I'll be sure to post my findings in a few days but if I can't tell a big difference then I'll probably sell it.

I was curious about how a power amp would help the system overall by driving the front speakers and letting the 752 drive the center and surrounds. Am I correct in thinking the T752 will sound a bit better when driven hard (at least on movies or 5.1 stuff) since the strain of the two front channels will be gone?

Thanks for any and all input. I'll post my findings when i get the amp.

Gopal
Unregistered guest
You are correct in assuming that your receiver
will sound better when you take some of the stress off of it. This is due to the way amplifiers rely on power supplies. The power supply will only be feeding 3 rather than 5 channels, the front two being the most demanding as well. NAD's larger power amps are generally quite neutral sounding and relatively fast. The biggest improvement you will find will be in having far more control over the drive units of your front speakers which will make the sound far more solid and 3 dimensional, greatly improved bass detail and soundstaging. You will find that you will have far more dynamic abilities from your receiver too as it will be able to hold more power in reserve

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Thats interesting. Thanks gopal. I look forward to receiving the amp. I couldn't find any reviews online for the 2200. is there a reason for this? Audioreview gave it very positive reviews but as far as full length magazine reviews... I can't seem to find any.

Since I already bought it I suppose reading reviews isn't all that necessary, I'd just be interested to see what they say.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Well it has arrived and I was immediately underwheled due to the right channel cutting out severely. I opened it up (which was a great learning experience!) looked around and checked the connections as best I could and found nothing glaringly wrong.
I read somewhere that there is a known issue with the relay switches I think? Anyone know? Anyways, after fooling around inside for a bit I hooked it back up and fired it up. Some cutting out sympton for about 30 seconds and then nothing but clean clear sound...
I wonder if it has to do with warming the thing up? I have not been a believer in this theory but after turning it off again and then on an hour later it started cutting out. After playing some music for a few minutes again the cutting was gone.
Obviously this isn't the best way to do it but for the price I paid, I may well keep it around for awhile as its very powerful, clean, clear and drives the PSB Image 6Ts wonderfully. I cannot be sure if I would call the sound better than I was getting from the T752 but I enjoy knowing it has plenty of power in reserve for those loud peaks or tough bass notes.

Comments, thoughts? Thanks
Jace

Andrew2200
Unregistered guest
Relay information is here:

http://archive.audioreview.com/01/0EF9BC1D.php

I just did this to my 2200 and it works great! Simple fix, no parts required!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us