Carver amp models

Username: Eagle777

Post Number: 1
Hello all, I am looking to purchase a 150w per channel into 8 ohm 2 channel Carver magnetic field amp. Can anyone tell me what models fall into that category? Do the models in that power range have their own controls or do I need to by a preamp with any of their models in that power range? What speaker brands and models (8 ohm) match well with Carver equipment in that power range?

Thanks

Craig

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1869
If I may ask, why Carver?

I have an M-0.5t that has one channel in need of repair. It has the watts you are asking about plus a few more.

Let me know if you are interested in it. Roland Barr could refurbish it for you. You can find him on the internet.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2471
Carver seems to be one of those companies where the hype supersedes the products actual value, from what I've read and heard. I have no experience with Carver stuff, though.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 423
Bob Carver is one of those guys who is subject to much controversy and .....dare I say? bad press.
That being said, I have an ancient M4.0t, which provided years of service. It also has 1 dead channel.
If I were interested in a vintage piece, of 200 watts /less per channel some Adcom models come to mind, at least one of which is a Nelson Pass design of some repute.
While my Carver, of mid 80s vintage provided years of service, I probably should have traded up years earlier.

If I was interested in a Bob Carver designed piece, and was willing to put up with what may end up to be a real fix-it treat, I'd look for one of the Phase Linear amps...which while fairly conventional, got good press......before Bob arguabley went off the deep end.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1871
Larry, you missed your queue!

Bronze Member
Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 56
Craig - your not going to find much love (or info) for Carver gear here. Your best bet is to head over to www.carveraudio.com and do some research. Start with the lower end of the TFM series (ie: TFM 6, 15 & 25) They should be near what you're looking for.

You will definitely need a pre-amp. I'm not aware of a Carver Integrated. Speakers are a personal choice, what sounds good to you may sound like crap to someone else. Good luck!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12129
Larry peeks through the curtains...

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2441
lol Bob Carvers latest craft was good stuff. Sunfire gear that is. Before he sold it to Crestron.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 427
Bob SOLD Sunfire? Sheesh...that makes 3 companies he has started and either lost in divorce or sold.
Phase Linear, Carver, and now Sunfire. Nick, since you read the Hi-Fi press, any word on Bob's next venture?
I was a fan of Sunfire.....they use one of the products my company manufacturers.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2446
Havn't heard anything lately Leo. I know a few guys that are into the Theater/Home Automation business and they sure like the new Crestron amps though.lol. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Username: Ezntn

TN

Post Number: 10
I was fortunate to audition a Sunfire Theater Grand system today, 7.1 into the Sunfire CRS3 speaker system, center being the CRS-3C. Two Sunfire HRS-12s topped off the system. Listened to Eagles - Hell Freezes Over .. the DVD.
The store owner told me that the Sunfire rep spent half a day tweaking the room for maximum fidelity.
Total audio presence & completeness are two adjectives I could use to describe the experience.
A grand audio experience.

I had a Carver 2000 Integrated unit I purchased back in 86 that gave me over 15 years of great performance.
Is there a finite time limit one can expect flawless performance out of a unit, or is Carver --> Sunfire prone to premature disappointment?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12263
Have any gear cleaned and serviced (or learn how to do so yourself), clear the dust, clean a fan ( if used) and enjoy!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us