Adcom distortion alert issue?

Username: Dolarsbin

US

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
I have a question concerning an Adcom gfa-2535. I don't think it's an issue really, but wondering more if it could develop into one.
I have one gfa-2535 bridged for my left front Polk audio monitor 70 and a second gfa-2535 powering my right front monitor 70. I'm only using the left side of the amps bridged and I am not using the right side at all.
But so, when I first power my system up, my left side gfa-2535 has the distortion alert come on immediately for the bridged left side of the amp. And the right side gfa-2535 distortion alert doesn't light up. This being at very low volume.
Then slowly, over about the next hour, the distortion alert light dims and finally goes out.
Can someone tell me if this could be a problem later or possibly now?..... Also, I can't hear any distortion at all. Sounds fantastic actually.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dorian

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12123
So you have bridged 2 channels and you are now using the center channel output @ 200 watts for the front mains, is this correct?
Is the configuration the same on both sides?

US

Post Number: 2
Yes, I have the left side of each gfa-2535 bridged, which would typically be for the center channel, running my mains. I have the toggle switch on the backs of the amps switched to bridged mode, and I double checked for correct speaker connections. Also I ran audyssey multi eq with my denon 2807, that being my pre for the adcoms, and that told me that the speaker connections were in phase too.
I have an adcom power conditioner that powers everything on when I turn my denon reciever. And when I turn it all on I get that one distortion alert light on only one gfa-2535, but not the other one. Seems like it needs to warm up in order for the light to go off. And the volume doesn't change the light at all either, loud or quiet.
So far it hasn't caused any problem, so I am hoping it is just quirk of the amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12124
Have you swapped outputs from the preamp, side to side?

US

Post Number: 3
Actually, I haven't. I have new interconnects from my preamp to the Adcoms too. And i haven't tested them on anything else. I will try switching them after I cool them down.

US

Post Number: 4
Ok, I switched the interconnects at my pre, left to right and right to left, great idea by the way. And I still get the distortion alert light on the same amp. Though it's real dim, I think because the amps only cooled down for about 30 mins. Seems the light shows bright only after being shut off for a longer period.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12126
Unless the warning comes on during normal listening, then I would just let it go.

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the advice Nuck. I won't worry too much about it.
Regards, Dorian

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 424
Nuck, with all due respect, I feel that anything different is suspect. Bias issue?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12127
Could be Leo, but likely a cap or something, specially on power up.
Unless the OP wants to have both amps serviced and biased, I would wait to see if anything changes.

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 6
I have to admit, I am a relative novice when it comes to the mid/higher end. I am learning though.... Can someone explain bias to me?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12132
DB, have you by any chance ever had the amps cleaned?

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 7
I haven't, but the consideration is there. I bought both of the Adcoms used off of Audiogon for a pretty decent deal. The one with the distortion alert light coming on I got just 2 weeks ago. And that was after hearing what a difference the 1st Adcom made to my livingroom system. But there is a local shop here I can take them too. I've talked to them already about looking at a Pioneer ct-f1250 tape deck, and they have a $70 diagnostic fee. Which I am assuming would go for the Adcoms as well. So for now I am gonna just keep a close eye on the distortion led.... But my distortion alert could be from just needing a good cleaning?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12141
Maybe...if there is a nasty jammed into that circuit, it could make a difference.
If you are careful and unafraid, you can open them up for dusting and cleaning.
I do my stuff every year, it really ain't hard, but I have some training.

Dude, take off the covers and take some good pics.
The one you just got needs to be opened at any rate, but thats just me.And a lot of others too.

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 10
yeah, that is the way I want to go. And I plan on sticking with the Adcoms for a while. So that is my next step, opening them up. What cleaning solution, if any, do you use Nuck? And I could upgrade the fuses and such too right? Caps?

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 12
And as a side note. I can take some pics of the Adcom innards when I open her up.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12148
DB, I do not recommend any repairs yourself unless you have a functioning meter. This is usually an indicator that you have at least some knowledge in regards to what not to touch, if you know what I mean.
I use compressed air in a can ,non-residue contact cleaner and a nylon toothbrush and a ground strap. Do not use a vacuumn.
The fuses are up to you, but pull them and wipe the fuses and holders with emery cloth.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12149
Inspect the caps to see that there is no swelling on top as well.
Identify the caps for reference later, should you seek to replace/upgrade.

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 13
I am definitely in no hurry to pulling parts out. I ask more out of accumulated knowledge and perhaps the "can O worms" I could be opening. The cleaning sounds doable, perhaps new fuses too. I had read something about ceramic fuses, said it was a considerable upgrade. As far as the caps, I will be happy in just knowing what they look like. Thanks again Nuck!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12154
Cool man. I suggest opening it up and doing a cleanup.
The caps are the canisters in plain sight, the biggest ones are power caps, look at those closely! Flat on top, as should be all the canisters in there, very important.
Identify the fuses while you are there cleaning them. I ain't sold on fuses, but thats just me.
Have fun!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us