Speaker wattage

Username: Freakzerosk8er

Post Number: 1
i have a 300 watt mini system and it comes with 2 150 watt speakers i just want to no if i can put in some 200 or 300 watt speakers, will this make it a 400 or 600 watt stereo? would it somehow damage the stereo, or should i stick with 150 watt speakers? thanx

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 782
1. no
2. no
3. yes

Post Number: 2
is there any way at all to use more powerfull speakers or am i screwed?
and wen people talk about adding on an amp because theyre getting bigger speakers wat does this mean?

Silver Member

Post Number: 804
receivers provide the power and the speakers handle them.

Bronze Member
Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 26
To put it anoyher way, to get REAL big power you gotta go with seperates. A "mini-system" just won't cut it. You could go out and buy more "efficent" speakers. This would give you more sound output for the watts you already have. Hint: go out and buy the biggest pair of Cerwin Vega's you can find. They are famous for their high sensitivity ratings.

Something like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71569&item=5705126884&rd= 1

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Berny - The correceted answers are:
1) No.
2) No.
3) H*ll no!!!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Berny - The corrected answers are:
1) No.
2) No.
3) H*ll no!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 835
Jan,
LOL!!!!!!
I was being nice!

Silver Member

Post Number: 838
oh, do you think he shouldn't stick with the 150 watt system???

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Would you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
H*ll no!
The road to audio nirvana is paved with upgraded listening gear. Totally dependent on finance and if married or attached, the good ol' WAF.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1469
This problem of "speaker power" keep coming up time and time again. I think manufacturers are to blame - they WISH people to think speakers have power ratings, in themselves.

Perhaps if we had horse-power instead of Watts eveything would be clearer?

Suppose carts were sold labelled "suitable for being pulled by between 2 and 4 horses". Everyone would see immediatly is would be OK to try it with one horse, and any unkindness would be to the horse, not the cart. Everyone would also see immediatly you could try it, and use it, with eight or twelve horses. Each horse would have an easy time. The cart would be OK as long as you did not use all the power to carry a bigger load, or to go faster, than it was designd for.

The original question here seems a bit like asking if you can go faster, or carry heavier loads, if you get the same number of horses to pull a bigger cart.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I'm thinking the original question here has to do with a load!

Post Number: 3
wow u guys have helped alot and i've made my mind up. i'm gonna buy a bigger more powerfull component system once i got the dough. thanx to everyone.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Our pleasure.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1471
I second that.

Yes, J.V., load, not speed. Although one horse-speed is the same as the speed of twelve horses, you might still make the cart go faster with twelve if wind resistance and/or friction were the factors limiting top speed. This is getting silly. I shall go away.

All the best to everyone.

Unregistered guest
Alright guys. Let's think about this one. Yes you can stick higher wattage speakers on your amp. They won't be any louder, though, because the amp is what drives them. However, the only real danger is using a high power amp with low power speakers. You'll blow out the speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2370
Very timely response, Robles!

Tony5.1
Unregistered guest
Hi, I own a Kenwood VR-7080 6.1 receiver. I am interested in the Earthquake Nova SN-51 speakers. Anyone know anything about them? Are they a good investment?

Username: Gamerdude

Kitchener, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
You ogt a p*ssy butt mini system mine is 175per channle(2 channels) and i run 2 giant 180 watt speakers and a 300 watt sub been working dfor 4 years now

Philips-CW-f555

Gold Member

Post Number: 7680
Speakers don't have watts.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1267
very articulate Kyle.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 11
......However, the only real danger is using a high power amp with low power speakers. You'll blow out the speakers........

Ummm no and yes, small amp distorts and blows out woofers/tweeters. Better with big amp with small speakers then small amp with any sized speakers. Flamezor me. :-O

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 43
180 max per speaker i just looked at them but still works great i have no problems and these arnt the speakers that came with the system
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us