Outlaw RR2150 on sale

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2428
Down from 699 to 499.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Someone should buy one and tell us what they think. C'mon, they're practically giving them away now.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2522
I've heard great things about the RR2150, but I'd still take an HK3490 for half the price.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9417
I wouldn't. Sometimes saving money is just that...no other advantage to it.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2432
Hmmm. Good point Art. The RR2150 would be kinda cool to have just for the relative "rareness" factor of it alone.

Speaking of that, I wonder how many of these things they're selling? Maybe that's why they're on sale, or maybe they're going to be discontinued soon.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2431
I am with Art and Dave, I would take that Outlaw for double the price of an H/K. Sorry Chris, the last couple times I had an H/K in my house it got slaughtered by everything I threw at it. Let a bad taste in my mouth.

Who is making the Outlaw stuff these days David? It looks mighty juicy at 499. ALTHOUGH!! My dealer got some Cambridge stock in that were " Damaged boxes" stock but the components inside are mint/new. He is selling the 640 cdp for 449.99 and the 640 integrated for 497.99. I was so tempted to bring one home for a test run just to see what it was like.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2433
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the RR2150 is actually built by Sherwood. I could be wrong, though.

As for their other stuff, the M2200 is an NHT and the multichannels are ATI, I believe.

$450 for the CA 640C is a good price Nick. I paid $650 for mine a year and half ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2523
I dig my HK, although I like the NAD C725BEE a bit better.

Sometimes spending money is just that...no other advantage to it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9418
"Sometimes spending money is just that...no other advantage to it."

Indeed, this is not one of those cases however.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9419
I don't think the HK is that bad or the Outlaw that good. The HK's just seem to be a bit veiled and you are going to get more music from the Outlaw and/or the NAD 725 than the HK. That's worth bit more dough to me. However I would go for an integrated over either of them in a heartbeat.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2435
I'd go for an integrated too. I have no use for a tuner. Unfortunately, my wife likes to listen the radio so for a bedroom or kitchen receiver (I have one in both rooms) this would be perfect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2524
"Indeed, this is not one of those cases however."

Perhaps, but I would not so dismissively cast aside the HK, I think it's well worth a listen and should satisfy most. I'd need to step up to the $800 C725BEE before I'd consider a stereo receiver other than the HK, but I haven't heard the RR2150. I've read all the reviews, but good reviews are a dime a dozen, however I suspect it's very good, not too pretty IMHO, but good.

I listen to a lot of radio, so I tend to lean towards receivers, especially since I've yet to swayed that there's any real-world sonic compromise to a tuner's presence.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9421
Buy a good integrated and a Tivoli table radio...better performance from your amp and tuner, not a bad deal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2432
NAD 325bee and a NAD tuner all for 650 as well. The 325bee's are going out the door crazy cheap right now because of it getting replaced by the 326bee. I could also walk away with a Cambridge 640 integrated and a matching Cambridge Tuner for around the same price. Crazy what could be had for so cheap.

David- Would you describe the Cambridge house sound to be better than Outlaw, or even?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2437
Hey Nick. I wouldn't say that Outlaw has a house sound, since they re-badge equipment from different sources. I have owned the 2200 in the past and to me it reminded me of Rotel.

The Cambridge sound is more consistent. To me Cambridge leans a little towards to the smooth/warm end. I'm a big CA fan. They make good sounding gear for a reasonable price.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12079
my buddy was asking what he should buy to have it sound like mine...I suggested a few things, and he ain't cheap.
He is shopping CA 840 tomorrow.
puter source.
MA speakers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2438
The 840's are very nice Nuck.

Which MA speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2433
The 840 is a beauty. So are the MA's.

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 254
Will shill the CA 840A because I've had it for over a year and can't wait to kick it on everyday. They got expensive with the V.2's but that was predicted in alot of forums.

A Cambridge engineer commented that there's not "an earth shattering" difference to the sound of the V.1 and you can still find the 1 for a steal new at ~$900.

Would suggest including a listen to the 840 amongst those in a group to audition.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2525
I had some CA gear a few years ago and was very impressed by the build quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2441
Good deal JAW.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12082
I simply suggested the RS6

it wont sound like my kit, because it is all different, right?

But Paul Simon would sound fine...

I didn't find the CA to groove so much, but that was a passby listening.

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
You're not wrong, Nuck; the sound doesn't jump out and slap the ears (like NAD, e.g.). For me the CA sound draws you in and surrounds you (kinda like Selma Hayek) with musical detail.

And, to me, it's still plenty dynamic so it's the overall sound balance that makes sense.

Funny thing, I'm so safisfied with the 840 sound that I'm almost bored because no motivation to chase something else. That will change, it always does; that's why I hang around.

Username: Plunberry

Post Number: 1
Is it time to upgrade? I currently own a Harman Kardon 3380 receiver and have been satisfied with it for the last 2 years. Reading the forums for a number of years has given me the upgrade bug.

I have been looking at the Outlaw RR2150 or the NAD C720BEE with an external phono preamp. The NAD with the preamp will be similar in overall price to the Outlaw. I do listen to vinyl currently using various 70's Japanese or American made turntables, CD player is a NAD C525BEE and FM radio.

My local NAD dealer went out of business and Outlaw is mailorder so listening to each is impossible. Would I notice a difference and if so, which of the 2 choices would make the most difference? Current speakers are the famous Infinity Beta 20's and Primus P152. Music is usually jazz or rock but not at a high volume. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12103
PL, be sure that your table is spot on and invest in a stand alone phono stage before anything else.

I really like my Jolida JD9, which is a very good price/sound, if you like a little tube stuff, and it will accommodate any setup.

Post Number: 2
Nuck,

Good suggestion. I do have a Creek OBH-8 phono preamp that is attached to another system that I don't use often that I can try. Thanks for some direction!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2465
Outlaw do offer a 30 day in-home trial. If you don't like it, you send it back. The worst that happens is that you're out return shipping. Depends where you live, though. If you're not in the States you'll get dinged with extra shipping and import duties.

To me auditioning something at home for 30 days is much more appealing than hearing something at a store.

Post Number: 3
Nuck, Thanks, the phone preamp was great suggestion. My vinyl has a new life with better, clear highs and dynamic lows. The sound is significantly better. I can only imagine how much a better turntable and cartridge would make it sound.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12139
Thats great, PL.
The stand alone phono is almost always better.

Post Number: 4
David Mitchell, I took your advice and now have the Outlaw in the home to try out. I spent several hours yesterday comparing it to the HK3380 using different sources, CD, FM, TT using the same speakers. The Outlaw was a significant upgrade in overall sound quality. FM quality is quite good with strong signals but long range reception more difficult to receive. With the Outlaw, the NAD CDP was more detailed and musical. Using the Outlaw phono, sound was as good or better than the HK3380 with the Creek phono preamp. With my older ears and setup I am happy with the upgrade and for $500, its a keeper.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12391
Well done, PL.
I have recommended that some people look into the Outlaw based on no negative reviews.
Yours is not negative, but not so excited.
Is the unit brand new?
What is the rest of your kit, speakers?
What type of groovin do you do?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2575
Glad you like the 2150 Paige. I've always wanted to try one out. I've owned other Outlaw gear and have been very happy with it.

I'm also interested in hearing about the rest of your kit!

Post Number: 5
Nuck, I am excited about the Outlaw but want to leave a little room for the next upgrade down the road. Right now, the Outlaw sounds very good to me. I need to spend more time and get a better FM antenna. There is a great public radio jazz station in Denver that I am having trouble getting a real good signal but I am very close to having it sound perfect.

The rest of my kit consists of NAD C-525BEE CDP, an older Hitachi TT with a lower priced Audio Technica cartridge that definetitely sounds better with the Outlaw. My main speakers are the Infinity Betta 20's. They have several hundred hours on them and took a very long time to break in. They sound very nice to me. The current B speakers are Canton Ergo 21 DC. I have tried the Primus P152 but the Beta's are just more musical with my kit. I couldn't resist the sale so have ordered the EVO2-8's to check out. I have a mint Kenwood KD-550 TT to try out as well a BIC, Marantz and Dual TT's. Thanks for your interest.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us