Thanks Hawk, Johnny and others - NAD T762

Username: Yshuaw

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 5
Just wanted to thank Hawk, Johnny and everyone else for giving advice on my HT purchase. I wound up visiting DMC Electronics (they are a 100 mile round trip drive to OC from here) and fell in love with the NAD / PSB Image pairing. Tomorrow I will receive the NAD T762, and a PSB HT setup of 6T's, 10S's, 9C and Subsoinic 6!

I'll post my thoughts when its all set-up.

And let me add more praise for DMC. Because they weren't open on Sunday (the day I went BACK to purchase) they are shipping the entire setup for free!

Link to original post FYI.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/15169.html

Thanks again! Josh

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 352
Joshua,

Congratulations!!! In my opinion you have purchased one of the truly great systems out there in this price range. I am sure that you will be pleased. Those PSB speakers really make the T762 sing. If you could help me with something now. As you know, I have PSB Image speakers paired with my 762...but only the front and center channels...I am still running some Polk surrounds. I am still on the fence as to whether I want to get some PSB Image 1B's as surrounds or go for the 10S. When you get everything setup, could you post back and give me your impressions of the 10S. I would really appreciate it.

Once again, congratulations on your purchase and good luck!!

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 6
Johnny:

I should be setting it up tomorrow, and will happily give you my thoughts!

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 7
Johnny:

Initial impressions of the system are "wow"! The 10S is mounted on the wall behind/beside me (they should be mounted so that they face me from the sides, but WAF prohibits that for the time being) Still, the diffusion of sound is amazing. In fact, because of the small size of my room, the 10S actually succeeds in making the entire system more transparent in stereo modes.

Test materials thus far:
Star Wars epII
Roy Orbison Black and White night DTS DVD
James Taylor Live at Beacon Theater
Several 2 channel CDs (set NAD to EARS)

The 10S certainly improves HT, I imagine far beyond the 1B. This would be especially true if set-up as recommended (on the walls or ceiling directly beside the listening area, as opposed to right behind the listener)

For music, the 1B might allow for better stereo accuracy (especially in cases where voices are given to each speaker (seven bridges road from the eagles, etc...), but the 10S' totally disappear in my room (making me feel like I'm not sitting against the wall, even though I am)

If you can swing the price difference, and if your goal is a wider soundstage (or deeper in my case) I would highly recommend springing for the 10S.

I haven't fine tuned/calibrated much thus far, that comes this weekend, but I am blown away by the system as it exists now, so thanks again all!!!!!

Josh

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 363
Joshua,

Thank you very much for posting your impressions. Your thoughts closely parallel my own regarding the bipolar surround speaker. I am mostly interested in HT as opposed to music, so I am pretty convinced that the 10S will probably be what I choose. I think DMC Electronics has a pretty good deal on some factory blem speakers...I may go that route. Thanks again for posting. I look forward to any further thoughts you may come across in the future.

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 10
Johnny:

Got my 10S' from DMC, they are $399 for the pair I think. FYI - David says they are factory blemished, but thus far, I think he is sending out new ones; I think he has a lot of their old stock (since they changed their line slightly this year)... I didn't see anything at his shop that would make me think you weren't going to get a new piece.

Good luck with your purchase...the longer I listen, the happier I get!

Josh

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 63
Josh, how do you like the Subsonic 6?

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 12
Jonathan:

Bear in mind that I have little to compare it to; my previous sub was from a Sony HTiB.

I am AMAZED at the subsonic 6! For $399 (at DMC Electronics) you get a substantial piece of furniture: weighs 45lbs, solid construction, carpet spikes or hard-floor "knobs", phase switch, adjustable LPF and volume... and the sound:

No SPL measurements in my room, but thus far NOTHING I have thrown at it was too low or too overbearing. Explosions, drums, deep hip hop and techno, the bass is readily available and clean as can be. and for audiophiles, it is really quite musical; bass guitar, organs, all sound distinct and melodic.

I'm sure you can get any number of amazing subs in the sub $600 category (SVS, HSu were both on my short list) but for $400, I haven't heard anything that would make me choose a different sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us