Best quality but affordable receiver

Username: Eomons

Post Number: 1
may i have your suggestions please on what brand and model of receiver and speakers (both satellite and subwoofer) should i buy. i prefer a 7.1 home theater that produces a good sound quality. I'm not so familiar with rms. What does it mean? How much wattage in each speaker is desirable for a living room?

On the other hand, I have a friend who has a creative s750 gigaworks thx-certified 7.1 speaker system attached to his pc but its subwoofer sounds a little bit boomy. its speakers are rated at 70 watts for each satellite and 210 watts for the subwoofer. The satellites seemed a little bit low but the sub is too loud. My friend would like also to buy a receiver that is compatible with the 70-watt creative satellite speakers. Is this possible? What receiver can you recommend?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 639
Computer speakers are computer speakers if the use mini plug to attache to the PC then they will not work with home theater. What is your spending limit.
Denon,Onkyo,Pioneer, are a few receivers to start with Paradigm,Energy,Hsu, are a few speaker companys.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the idea.

i saw the satellite speakers being attached to the subwoofer using standard rca connector. I think the subwoofer has its own amplifier.

about the brands you mentioned, they may have both high-end and low-end models that's why I like to know the exact model that can satisfy an average ear, not necessarily the most expensive one.

Post Number: 3
I forgot something. the subwoofer by the way has a volumc control and a modular box connected to it. The modular box has a 3-color plug that connects the subwoofer to the pc sound card. It also has a switch that selects the sound source either from the pc sound card or external decoder. My friend said that he can discard the subwoofer if he can find a compatible receiver to which he can attach the satellite speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2430
For home theatre (and it sounds to me like you're mostly interested in HT, as opposed to music listening), Yamaha is pretty hard to beat for price/feature ratio. I like Pioneer too.

A lot of guys on here really like the Onkyo HT receivers too.

What's the budget?

Post Number: 4
I'd like to settle for the middle priced receivers. I supposed some connectivities that can be found in high-end units can also be found in the dvd player that is separate from the receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 640
In receivers for HDMI switching ,iPOD intergration,overall ease of use and set up I like the Denon 2309.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4527.asp

For speakers Paradigm Monitor series.

http://paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-monitor-series-1-2-4.paradigm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us