Unshielded distance

Username: Futureman22

Post Number: 3
I recently purchased some towers that are unshielded. My center is shielded and will go on top of the TV, but I am not sure exactly how far to position the towers to make them safe. I need to know the minimum distance because the layout of the room doesnt allow me to spread them out very much. The amp is pushing 75wpc, if that matters. Also, should I assume a powered sub is unshielded?? Thanks for all the help.

Unregistered guest
Hi David:

The distance required depends on the size of the magnets in the speaker and the type of TV. Any interference will be noticable as colour distortion.

A distance of about two to three feet is usually sufficient.

A powered sub may be shielded, but most are not, so to be safe, assume it isn't.

I had to return my unshielded speakers for shielded versions due to TV interference so I understand your concern.

I hope this has helped.

TC

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
If you are not using a CRT (tube type) television you need not worry about distance. Rear projection, plasma and LCD TV's are not affected by the magnetic force of the speaker.

Unregistered guest
I have heard that some RPCRT's can be effected depending on the location of the internal guns.

It is a much lower probability than the above mentioned CRT, but I believe there is still a chance of interference.

TC

Bronze Member
Username: Elite

Post Number: 17
any type of CRT will be affected.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I have only seen rear projection sets with guns mounted at the bottom so unless you are going to put your speakers underneath the TV you shouldn't have to worry.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us