Naim cd

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffbucks

Post Number: 24
Hello everyone, I inetend to take Naim nac282/nap250.2/ but I'm not sure about the source. These are my chioces:
1. cd5x/fc2x
2. cdx2(buying the power supply later)
3. hdx (buying the power supply later)

would you please advise which one will be sonic wise. since I won't be able to sell naim gear in my market easily so i won't be able to buy a cd5x/fc2x now, sell it later and buy a better source in future so I think buying the good player firstly will be much better here!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3612
Hello, on weekends I work for a UK Naim dealer so I should be able to help you here.

First of all, if you truly wish to consider the 282/250.2 combination, you need to buy an external power supply to power the preamp. The 282 comes with a NAPSC2. This power supply is dedicated to the digital control front panel. It does not power the analogue electronics in the 282. The classic combination is with a Hicap (my personal amplifier is a 282/hicap/250.2 and it's lovely). The worse flatcap2x power supply obviously isn't as good, and the better Supercap is much better. :-( You can also power the 282 with 2 hicaps if you wish. 2 hicaps aren't as good as one supercap (of course).

At this level, the minimum source you should consider is the CDX2. The HDX and the CDX2 are of similar quality but very different ways of listening, given that the HDX is a Hard Disc player. Personally, I think the CDX2 is just a touch better, but it means you must have your collection at hand. This is a lifestyle proposition rather than a better/worse scenario, since you can improve both HDX and CD player, the HDX can take the external XPS2 and 555PS power supplies (each of which bring major improvements) and so can the CDX2, but in the case of CD you can improve the head unit with the CDS3 or CD555 which is awesome. All these players are in the right ballpark for a 282/250 based system. It's only the CD5x/flatcap which is not, since that is just not in the right performance bracket even though it is an excellent player at its price.

I use a CDX2/282/hicap/250.2. I really enjoy it, but when I compare it to my much more capable vinyl front end, I know I really should have a better CD player, but it's good enough for now...

If the inclusion of the Hicap causes funding headaches, you should lower your sights on the amplifier front in order to maintain the best source within sensible parameters. For example, the CD5x/flatcap2x/282/hicap/250.2 is about the same money as the CDX2/282/200 which is a much better musical solution. If there's a little extra in the pot, the HiLine interconnect would be my next choice. If you're wondering, the 200 has the ability to power the analogue section of the 282 for you so you don't need a power supply. If you add a power supply (Hicap minimum, since the 200's supply is equivalent to a Flatcap), you will reap benefits. This is of course only if you don't have crazy speakers which you haven't mentioned.

In summary, if you were considering a CD5x/Flatcap2x/282/250.2, you should be considering a CDX2/282/200. If you really want the bigger amplifier, you should be considering a CDX2/282/hicap/250.2.

Cabling: Naim supply their CD players with a good basic interconnect. They also supply the power amp with the appropriate interconnect to the preamp (or power supply). Hicaps and Flatcaps are supplied with one interconnect each to power the preamp or CD player in the case of CD5x. So really all you need to add is speaker cable and speakers. In my opinion you should stick with Naim cable. It's relatively low value but works best in my experience. I have heard it up against many others including Chord, Nordost, Townshend, DNM and QED. Sometimes the others will show a trick that the Naim can't do, but overall the Naim cable is the best balance. Its weakest point is resolution but generally it is by far the most engaging. Get the dealer to make up your cable for you. Naim supply special speaker binding posts in the box with the power amp and these should be used (or the dealer can charge you a bit more for extras). Both lengths of the cable should be the same and under 10m in length. The only other option I would seriously consider is the Naim HiLine. This is an expensive, quite delicate interconnect designed and made by Naim after much investigation into the microphony of the standard DIN connections they use. The HiLine is a ridiculously good upgrade in almost any Naim system.

Power: we recommend that you do not use line conditioners, mains conditioners or anything of the type if possible. They have a tendency to leach the life out of the music. That said, if you are in an area which suffers from frequent electrical storms you may have little choice. It is difficult to make suggestions since every conditioner I have ever tried has always reduced the fidelity of the system, but I have heard particularly good things of the PS Audio PPP which is not a cheap item in its own right. The other item I have played with which was pretty good (and can swing a massive 23kW!) is the Isotek Titan. I would love to compare the Titan to the PPP some day. Other than that, plug the complete system into one multiway block to keep all the earths together (no surge suppressors please for the same reasons as above).

Finally, stands. You don't mention where you intend to site this gear. As with all quality HiFi, the stand makes a difference. Try to go for non-magnetic stands such as stainless steel or wood/MDF. Naim's own stand, the Fraim, is horrendously expensive but effective (of course), yet it's an odd combination of stainless steel, aluminium, MDF and glass. Glass shelves are generally frowned upon nowadays, but Naim have tuned the Fraim specifically for the purpose. That said, if you don't have a local dealer, setup is a bit of a nightmare. My 2nd most favourite rack comes from a company called isoblue. It's got a similar musical presentation to the Fraim, if not as good, but a complete 4-shelf isoblue rack costs the same as the Fraim base!

Oh, and if you can, do not place the system rack in between the speakers. Systems always seem to have a bit more air to breathe when the electronics sits to the side of the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2426
Interesting post Frank. I actually have my equipment rack off to the side from my speakers. I always thought it was an odd set-up (space constraints...). Maybe it's not so odd after all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Wow,Thanks frank. Actualy this was the most expressive all-in-one naim topic I have ever read! very helpful.

You deserve the best naim gear available ;)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3253
I'm guilty of it myself, but you shouldn't have TV in between the speakers either. In an ideal world, nothing is in between the speakers except a nice (non framed) painting or tapestry. Wall mounted flat paneled TVs are far better than CRT and/or projection TVs, but the wall mounted TVs still reflect sound and effect soundstaging and imaging.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12069
Good to see you back, Frank.
Hope you are all healed up.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3621
Healed up? Nowt wrong with me (apart from the usual), just been incredibly busy of late.

You're welcome Finder. And good luck.

Oh and if you start reading about after market power chords, don't go there. The Naim ones look cheap, feel cheap (and probably ARE cheap) but they work best. The only others that I found didn't ruin the sound were the Chord Powercord and the more expensive of the Isotek offerings. The only after market one that really improves things is made by ... Naim ... and yes it's dead expensive ... and no I still don't have any in my system ... yet ... :-(

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Frank, What are your speakers? In my market I can get: quad ESLs,focal v series & electra, magnepan 1.6 & 3.6, b&w , sonus fabers. have you tried any of these with your system?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3637
Finder,

I use Totem Mani-2 Signatures. Strictly speaking my amp isn't really man enough to drive them properly and a NAP300 is required, but for that one should really have a minimum of a CDX2/555PS/252/Supercap at the front which is wayyyyyyy to expensive for me and I'm in the trade!

You should definitely look at the Focal Electra series - good match with Naim. The Quads are an interesting but very large option which need room to breathe. I believe (but have no experience personally) that the Magnepans have quite awkward impedance. Many people like the B&W 800 series, although I find they mainly work well when played loud. Sonus Fabers are definitely worth a look too. They're latest models have improved tremendously in timing and pace.

Out of interest, where are you based?

Frank.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Do you think adding another 250.2 will help to drive the Mani-2s better?

I'm living in Dubai.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3642
Adding a 250.2 will bring more control since you're doubling the power. However, the real limitation is in the drive to the isobarically loaded bass/midrange which remains the same. A NAP300 brings much more to the party since much more of the available juice from the formidable NAP300PS is brought to bear on the load.

So, yes, another 250.2 would help but not as much as a NAP300 which is about the same price as 2 250.2s and looks the same.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12128
The Totems are indeed a handful to control, and to place in the room.
I find the Classe ca300 amp to be useful, but the speakers can be overpowered if one is frisky, or looking for more than the rated 109db in room.

But oh my, do they sound wonderful!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3648
Hehehe, I must get around to finding a new pair of speakers and selling my Mani-2 Sigs. I fancy a change.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us