Low Budget Subwoofer with a Kick. !Real Thread!

Username: Urophenox

Not a city, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 2
Hello, I'm currently in a bit of a predicament. This being that I have no subwoofer to compliment my Monitor 11 v.5 speakers. Other components are listed in my profile. The biggest problem is that I usually can't muster the cash to buy a Paradigm PW-2200, a Klipsch RW12-D or much else I've heard in that league. Although I haven't heard a whole lot of powered subs besides the odd demonstration with rather typical Low Low budget equipment, if not I usually end up hearing systems with subs like the Paradigm Signature Servo or a Focal F113. I have an unusual listening space which is completely asymmetrical although I have adequate room for my current setup. Fortunately I have a perfect space and power supply for a sub in the back left side of the listening area approx. 25' from my main speakers and at least 10' feet to my rear speakers. Personally I like everything to match nicely, and thankfully I was able to tune my audiosphere speakers so they; shockingly, do not embarrass themselves. I do use the system for both music and home theater, however my main concern is having a sub that can keep up with my Monitors in relative quality and VOLUME. Any help would be appreciated, as I don't know every speaker out there, lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12053
Nolan,given your geographical location, only found on a GPS, can I assume that you need a unit shipped to you in C$?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12054
Welcome, btw, bud.
Nice profile.
Can I assume that your part time transportation is a tractor in-season?

That works.

Username: Scottfox

D/FW, Tx Usa

Post Number: 3
you don't mention what your budget is. There are many internet direct companies, both Canadian & American that make great subwoofers at prices way below what you would find in a brick & Mortar store. The problem is U can't do a demo at a store. The good news is that you can do the demo in your home as most have a 30 day return policy. Besides, sounding good in a demo room means nothing to how it will sound in your HT room. Try HSU SVS ed EPIK Axiom & AV123. They make high quality subs for under $1000. They give U the flexibility to try them in your room. I bought an HSU VTF2.3 2 years ago. Happy with it, but not thrilled. I got on their web forum, & explained my situation. They had me send them a sketch of my room & speaker/sub setup. They recommended moving the sub nearfield, and WOW! Now I am getting the tactile punch in the gut I was missing. Not only did I get a quick response, but it was from Dr. Hsu himself! Now that's what I call customer support. He also recommended the connection to use. You seem to have a similar situation, with the sub in the rear. If you move it near the couch like an end table, you will get loads of bass. Just be sure to set the crossover at 80hz or lower so you can't localite it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12056
That works.

Post Number: 3
Yes I'd most likely need something in Canadian currency, although if I had to I could make an exchange. I'm looking for something in the $400-$800 range, new or used(depending on condition). I've heard a quite a few good things about HSU, although I've never heard anything they make. The question is will their products keep up in volume to my Monitor 11's without buying a reference product? They are rather loud for a smaller speaker, not that they are small. I just can't call them big. LOL!

Post Number: 4
And no Nuck, that's what my Alaskan Malamute is for. LOL JK I usually use a bike actually, I try to stray away for the hillbilly life. Hehe.

Post Number: 5
I've been looking into the Speakercraft Tantra TS-12 It's been appearing in the odd spot on the internet dipping down to $600 new in the box. Do any of you feel it can keep up? I certainly hope so with that MSRP.

Username: Scottfox

D/FW, Tx Usa

Post Number: 5
If you can go up to $800, consider AV123, they make the MFW15 which is a 15" vented sub that plays plenty loud & goes deep. They were having Amp problems, but changed their supplier, & should have the bugs worked out by now or very soon. Since you are wanting lots of volume, I would stick with a vented sub, as sealed subs would need multiples to match their volume, which gets expensive. Axiom is a Canadian ID company that makes several sized/priced subs with a good reputation. There's also Paradigm, PSB & Energy. Try going to AVS forums in audio, subwoofers, & you will see several threads for particular subs & reviews. Just remember that with ID companies, there is always some return policy if you aren't happy. Also, you don't mention if you primarily listen to music or movies. If mostly movies & U are looking for big impact, go for a vented sub.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12085
HSU is a pretty safe bet, with good reviews and support.
your budget goes high enough to shop around, see about home trials.
SVS do the same, but these things get heavy to ship around...

How about Epik?
Look into those as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12086
Or I will ship a Velodyne dps12 from Ontario(heavy) for a good price, check out CAM.

Canuckaudiomart.ca

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the advice. I've been able to look further into the situation on the product end. I'm certain that a downward firing sub would most likely be my best bet on the "infield" end of things due to very little available floor space. Perhaps an Ultracube 12 would due the job as I did not realize they were designed for that much output. Although I doubt I could easily position it were it wouldn't be in the way or too far from a plug in. Then I reconsidered a forward firing sub such as the ones you've suggested, but it needs to be placed far back in the room and would be awkward to find a suitable direction to lead the driver. I could just as easily put a downward firing sub in the same location. Although, I don't know if this will cause an issue with my expectations.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12092
If you draw up your room and speaker placement, a vendor will make a suggestion on sub placement for you.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2456
Still trying to unload that DPS-12, eh Nuck?

Mine mysteriously started working again.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12095
Don't need it Dave, but have it put away.
If the need arises to annoy the 'hood, out come the PSB's and the sub, LOL!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 644
Another Internet site that has not been mentioned is Outlaw Audio. There subs where hailed in audio mags lately. The subs are made by Hsu.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us