Denon AVR-3805 Review

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 263
Sound and Vision (magazine) has gotten around to testing the Denon AVR-3805. Seems to come in pretty strong with one minus on the list (lack of bass management on multi-channel inputs). Other than that, the numbers look okay, but not earth shattering. At 120W x 7, the thing tested at 93W x 7 (107W x 5) with all channel driven into 8Ohms. Certainly pretty good, but the numbers should be higher. :-)

Review all Sound and Vision tests at Sound And Vision Reports.

Anonymous1
Unregistered guest
Also, there's a recent and very complete review of Denon's AVR-3805 at:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review01.php

Unregistered guest
Geekboy~
You're right, it's not earth shattering, but depending upon efficiency of the speakers being used, 93 wpc is certainly sufficient. I have an
Adcom preamp & amplifier up for sale on eBay right now, and the max power of the Adcom amplifier is 150 wpc (probably less w/all channels driven). Now, assuming it puts out 150 wpc with all channels driven, I could only achieve little more than 115db from my 95db rated speakers, if you accept the theory that it takes a doubling of amplifier power for every 3db interval. At 93 wpc, then, I would still be able to squeeze a little more than 113 db out of it - hardly a noticeable difference to the ear, but certainly deafening if all channels are driven including the sub. I am selling my separate components to purchase the 3805 because they were giving me all kinds of reliability problems. I'm taking a downgrade in power, but the upgrade in technology and reliability is worth the difference I will probably never hear.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 316
Well the 93x7 was attained at clipping so I dont think it's comparable to most other reviews out there. I'll need to see more proofs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
Shane: I think it is acceptable power for most situations. I'm moving my "system" (home theater) from the Great Room to the addition I had added on during construction (a 580 sq ft room upstairs). While I wanted my home theater to be downstairs, the lower ceiling and more light control will be better. I was going to put in games (pool table, foosball, etc) upstairs, but now I'll put those in the Great Room since it's all 18" tiles anyhow and not good for the acoustics of the home theater. Boy how much you learn by "trying"!

I would consider the 3805 myself. My dream box, though is the B&K!

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
landroval: what do you mean? You think it's too high or too low at clipping?

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Anonymous1: I've seen that review before, but it doesn't include actual bench tests of what the system was doing at clipping. It just restates the "rated" power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us