Please help - cannot fix tone arm drop

Username: Dac10012

Post Number: 4
I have a Garrard 440M with a problem that is driving me crazy. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated. I have tried adjusting the pickup lowering adjustment screw under the tone arm many times but, depending on which way I turn it, either the tone arm sets down correctly on the beginning of a 45 but too far in on a 33 1/3 or it sets down correctly on a 33 1/3 but fails to reach the outer edge of a 45.

I believe the 45/33 1/3 switch should actuate a mechanism that selects the correct set down point for each type of record. Probably it's stuck because of dried grease, and the set down adjustment screw only fine tunes the point.

I have looked at the mechanism and the manual to try to identify the stops. My feeling is there has to be something that senses the edges of the record, both inner and outer, a sensor or switch that contacts a cam or stop. There should also be something at the outer edge, which tells the table where to set down the arm on auto-start. I need to know what and where that something is.

I have a manual and I have attached pdf's of the diagram and Garrard's directions for how to fix the problem, which I don't understand. I have a parts list if you need it too. I am hoping that someone with more knowledge of turntables than me would be better able to solve this problem by looking at and identifying the parts that need adjusting or helping to explain Garrard's solution.

Anyone want to take a crack at it? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.
application/pdfUpload
Garrard 440M diagram1.pdf (76.7 k)

application/pdfUpload
Garrard - pickup arm lands on record too far in or out1.pdf (21.4 k)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12041
David, I might suggest that the setscrew that were used previously were of a pointed type, and not the soft brass pointed or cup style that is recommended. The previous screws left a mark this is homing the new screws to a previous point.
You need to use an Emery of 340 or higher to clean the shaft, and my advise is to use a vacuumn as you smooth the shaft.
I suggest that you get new scews, with brass CUPS to replace the previous.

Set the screws with 242 BLUE loctite and try again.

Post Number: 5
I just removed the the pickup lowering adjustment screw under the tone arm and it is not pointed, but appears to be of the cup variety you refer to (it is concave at the end).

Before I attempt to take apart the pickup assembly (not sure how to do this, by the way), do you still think the shaft is damaged? And by shaft, do you mean the stop face of part #152 (please see diagram attached to my previous post)?

I am attaching another pdf from the manual which shows adjustments, including the pickup lowering position. It didn't help me, nor did Garrard's directions for how to fix the problem, which I also attached to my previous post. Perhaps it will help you. Thanks.
application/pdfUpload
Garrard adjustments.pdf (89.1 k)

Post Number: 6
Two more pdf's that may help. One is the 440M legend (parts list) that corresponds to the diagram attached to my first post. The other is a Fault Check List. Please note #7 Record size selection wrong. Not sure if it's relevant, though.
application/pdfUpload
Garrard 440M legend1.pdf (37.0 k)

application/pdfUpload
Garrard 440M Fault Check List1.pdf (39.8 k)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12048
Well poo, I thought I had it with the pointed setscrew, I did one before like this before, but not a Garard.

Looking through the pdf's now, David, but with a cold one and Bowie Diamond Dogs on the vpi, so...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12049
Is the post #145 still firmly seated in the housing?
Is it a press fit or secured with a setscrew?

Post Number: 7
That post is held in place by a nut, which I tried and found to be tight.

Post Number: 8
Any more ideas? Thanks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12064
I am out David. More help?

Post Number: 9
I give up, I guess I bought a lemon. $60 on eBay, incl. shipping. And the guy said it was "mint." He's a "Power Seller", BTW.

Post Number: 10
The problem is finally solved. I sprayed some WD-40 and pushed and prodded some levers in the turntable support bracket assembly and pickup bracket assembly and after much fine adjustment of the pickup lowering adjustment screw, the tone arm finally falls where it's supposed to on both 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. Thanks for all your help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12303
David, you get an 'Attaboy' award today!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us