B&W DM601 s3 + SUB or DM 602 s3 ??

Username: Stifa

Post Number: 3
Hi 2 you all,
I have just completed collecting money for my first "real" HT/music system.
But there are some issues that I cant solve by myself , so any experience-based help would be most appreciated :-).

1)Did not decide on the receiver, I have money for Marantz SR5300, but am wondering if NAD T753 is worth extra $150, and whaddoya all think about "cheaper" ONKYO TSR601?

2)IMPORTANT: Ive set up my mind on the B&W 601 S3's which sound great, but DM 602's have more bass and soundstage(my oppinion). I was thinking of going with 601's and adding a little Yamaha subwoofer(sw-y215) to compensate 30-60Hz missing.
WILL THIS (adding sub) DOWNGRADE overall sound QUALITY of 601's??
Will it be better or worse for music ( all types) :confused:

So basically 601's + subwoofer or 602's???
Mostly music and DVDs.

DM601 S3 - 60Hz-22kHz 88db
DM602 S3 - 50Hz-22kHz 90db
+ Marantz I think ;)

THANKS, I really need help on all this.
Marko stifa@eunet.yu

Bronze Member
Username: Pingo76

Slovenia

Post Number: 16
Well, i hope it helps. I have front B&W 601 s3 and rears B&W 303. I thought i should sound pretty good and i wouldn't need a subwoofer.
Then i got a great deal getting a mission 7AS2 (150W RMS for 2x 8"). I hooked them up and... you should have seen my face.
After tweaking (for music) i found that i could not live without him. For HT it is awesome and needed. Sometimes i get that excited that i up the volume (yesterday, watching LOTR- Two towers) and i can fairly say that i can simulate tremors :-).
However, when playing music i like it to sound only that much that is needed to complement the 601.
I have not heard the 602 but i dont think that their bass is enough to leave a good sub out of equation.
I would certainly not look for a sub for music if i decided for B&W 603 of 604.
Take my advice for what i am, a newbie in this but very picky for equipment.

Bronze Member
Username: Pingo76

Slovenia

Post Number: 17
Well, i hope it helps. I have front B&W 601 s3 and rears B&W 303. I thought it sounds pretty good and i wouldn't need a subwoofer.
Then i got a great deal getting a mission 7AS2 (150W RMS for 2x 8"). I hooked them up and... you should have seen my face.
After tweaking (for music) i found that i could not live without him. For HT it is awesome and needed. Sometimes i get that excited that i up the volume (yesterday, watching LOTR- Two towers) and i can fairly say that it can simulate tremors :-).
However, when playing music i like it to sound only that much that is needed to complement the 601.
I have not heard the 602 but i dont think that their bass is enough to leave a good sub out of equation.
I would certainly not look for a sub for music if i decided for B&W 603 or 604 (way out of my budget).
Take my advice for what i am, a newbie in this but very picky for equipment.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us