B&W DM601 S3 with SUB or "just" DM602 S3's? ADVISE PLS.

Username: Stifa

Post Number: 2
Hi 2 you all,
I have just completed collecting money for my first "real" HT/music system.
But there are some issues that I cant solve by myself , so any experience-based help would be most appreciated :-).

1)IMPORTANT: Ive set up my mind on the B&W 601 S3's which sound great, but DM 602's have more bass and soundstage(my oppinion). I was thinking of going with 601's and adding a little Yamaha subwoofer(sw-y215) to compensate 30-60Hz missing.
WILL THIS (adding sub) DOWNGRADE overall sound QUALITY of 601's??
Will it be better or worse for music ( all types) :confused:

So basically 601's + subwoofer or 602's???
Mostly music and DVDs.

DM601 S3 - 60Hz-22kHz 88db
DM602 S3 - 50Hz-22kHz 90db
+ Marantz I think ;)

THANKS, I really need help on all this.
Marko stifa@eunet.yu

Username: 514329

Post Number: 8
I did an A/B audition on this speakers and I found the 602 is bigger in sound (of course its a bigger speaker) but you alone can decide w/c one is for you. its your money, your the one who's gnna use it and you gonna leave w/ it but make sure you can return it 100% money back if it don't work for you. good luck and post what ever work for you.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
Go for the DM602 S3, they are several litres more air in them cf DM601 S3. I have heard the 2 together. Even the retailer salesperson recommended the 602s instead for the small increment in price. Adding a sub to the 601s might or might not compensate harmonically, depending on driver material, room size and placement especially for sub.
Conclusion: If music is more important to u, buy the B&W 602 S3. This is "What Hi-Fi" mag 2003 sub-300 pounds best buy award(. However, u do need quite a large room to make them sing. In a small room, the sound feels congested. If HT is more important to you a sub might give out deeper lows.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us