MARANTZ SR5300 with B&W DM601 S3 or DM602's ?? ADVISE PLS.

Username: Stifa

Post Number: 1
Hi 2 you all,
I have just completed collecting money for my first "real" HT/music system.
But there are some issues that I cant solve by myself , so any experience-based help would be most appreciated :-).

1)Did not decide on the receiver, I have money for Marantz SR5300, but am wondering if NAD T753 is worth extra $150, and whaddoya all think about "cheaper" ONKYO TSR601?

2)IMPORTANT: Ive set up my mind on the B&W 601 S3's which sound great, but DM 602's have more bass and soundstage(my oppinion). I was thinking of going with 601's and adding a little Yamaha subwoofer(sw-y215) to compensate 20-60Hz missing.
WILL THIS (adding sub) DOWNGRADE overall sound QUALITY of 601's??
Will it be better or worse for music ( all types) :confused:

So basically 601's + subwoofer or 602's???
Mostly music and DVDs.

DM601 S3 - 60Hz-22kHz 88db
DM602 S3 - 50Hz-22kHz 90db
+ Marantz I think ;)

THANKS, I really need help on all this.
Marko stifa@eunet.yu

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 274
The NAD is definitely better, but you'll also be fine with Marantz.

I think the 601s are more accurate than the 602s so I'd definitely take the 601+sub config.

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 28
It really depends on what kind of music you listen to mostly. Since you've narrowed things down to the choices above, the best way is to get your dealer to pair both up with same brand/gauge cables using a receiver's A/B switch, so you can flip back & forth between the 2 sets while playing the same song(s). Just make sure both demo units have been fully run-in (500 hrs) or it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Also try biwiring both if you feel like it.

I did just that with the 600/601/602/602.5/603 using Marantz 7300 & also Denon 2803, and liked the 6.5" driver a bit more. I personally found the 7" just a tad bit bass heavy for what I listen to. I was welcomed to spend *days* in the soundroom since I told the owner outright I would buy a full set plus receiver from him & just have to decide on which combo. :-)

Sounds like you're building a 2ch system with 5.1 receiver to start. Hope you have plans to add surrounds & center later. I prefer to run my fronts full range in 2ch mode, and only enable the sub for 5.1 DD/DTS music & movie. But that's just me. Adding a sub may or may not affect sound quality, depending on how tight & deep the bass is, and how you like your music.

Either NAD or Marantz with match these babies nicely. T753 will blow the 5300 away, as it's more comparable to the 7300/7400 IMHO (in terms of power, but NAD still wins in sound clarity). It has amazing sound but you just *may* have to put up with misc reliability issues some (I know, not all :-)) users have run into in this forum. No experience with Onkyo so I won't comment there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us