Cartrige for Lenco L75

Username: Jl2002

Qubec, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 6
Hi,
I would like to know what cartridge you would recommend to put on a Lenco L75. I need to mention that I have the S 16 model and this one has a S shape arm that is different from the L75S. As of now it has a Shure M95EDM cartridge, and it sound quite good. However I do not know the limit of that table and that arm. I heard that Jelco would be the manufacturer, but there is nothing written on the arm. Neither I know if the arm/table would sound any better with a pricier cartridge.
thanks in advance.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13478

I suspect everyone who already knows the specs for the Lenco L75 arm will be along shortly ...

waiting ...

waiting ...

still waiting ...

Ya'know? It might be a good idea if you gave us a link instead of just expecting us to do the work of finding out about this arm for you.

Personally, I think it was when you said it wasn't the S16 model that threw everyone.

Qubec, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 7
Sorry for the confusion,
my question is about a choice of cartridge, not about the arm. It may be relevant to know which one I have, though. I am expecting opinion for people, that's about it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11996
JL, that was a funny post from JV.
Lets look it up and see what we find.

Stand by...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11997
I find a lot of mods and rebuilds, but no S arm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LENCO_Turntables

It seems a lot of people love these to be modified to death and become anything but a Lenco. Hmmm...

Is this the orignal arm? S arms are noted mostly for being replaced with straight arms, amigo.
Maybe check out the DIY and mod sites that I listed?

Montral, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 8
Yes,
it is the original arm. No modification at all. That's the reason why I want to upgrade the cartridge to see the sound improvement before any modification to it. If satisfying, then I'll stay there. I wonder if cartridge such as Ortofon 2M blue or Grado gold is good enough. I would prefer a MM since my amp is already set-up for MM.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12000
Then look ata magnet cart, JL, but still...I wonder if all the mods (including straigh arm) are there for a reason> I don't know.
One in there was a straight shange for a Linn Itok arm, which accepts alignment easily,is supported andis not so pricey.

Not to steer you away from the original table/arm, but S arms were just a fashion, it seems to me.
Lots of good reading anyhow on this table.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12001
Maybe see if you can geat an idea from this link...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/561023.html

The res frequency is a key to a good setup, and without ears.

Montral, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 9
interesting info. Thanks.
Actually, I have a L78 as well with the straigh arm. The L75S16 definitely sound better (cartridge not the same, I know... but both are in the low end)
jl

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13480

JL - Being one of the Old Timers around here, I generally know of the Lenco products. What you are going to find is arms as old as your's are not meant for many of today's high compliance cartridges. The mass of the arm must match the mass and compliance of the cartridge, that's what that chart in my previous thread is telling you, to produce a synergistic pairing.

The Shure would have been one of my last choices for the Lenco arm. Not based on sound quality but on compatibility with the arm. In today's market I would tend to suggest your choices for a good mechanical match with this arm would be confined to lower compliance models more akin to what was available in the days when the Lenco was designed. For this you will probably have to turn to cartidges meant for DJ work. You might look at one of the DJ's favorites, a Stanton or an Audio Technica. To get the best out of this arm you need to avoid the high compliance cartridges most home audio manufacturers are producing today.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12012
Old Timers...hehehe

Next time I visit, JV, its gonna be lasagna, and I will bring better vinyl.

Stanton still make some of the most hearty of carts, if lacking in definition, but work in heavyweight situations, for sure.

JL, this isn't meant to run down your gear, but there is so much more to be had, thats all.

Have you heard any newer tables? The bar has been set very high in the last 10 years or so for not so much $.

Montral, Qubec Canada

Post Number: 10
Well, I paid 55 dollars for the S16 and 15$ for the other one. I would say it is more from a collection point of view, although for me there is no interest just to collect them. I also want to listen to them and take some pleasure.
For the new models, no I have not tried any of the last 10 years. All the ones that I have are pretty old. What do you mean by "not that much" ? ClearAudio Emotion ? or Rega 3 ?
jl
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us