How can I adjust the tone arm so it does not miss the edge of the record?

Username: Dac10012

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a vintage Garrard 440M record changer turntable. I want to play stacks of 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. I have the long spindle and a 45 automatic adaptor, so I can stack either kind of record. Here's my problem. No matter which way I turn the adjustment screw at the base of the tone arm, I end up with either the needle falling too far in (missing the beginning of the first track) on the lp's or too far out (missing the outer edge) of the 45's. No happy medium. I owned a previous Garrard 440M and never had this problem. Is there a way to fix this? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 718
Oh man, don't do it!! There's a reason they go rid of those auto changers. For one, they breakdown and need to constantly be adjusted but much more importantly...they ruin those priceless pressings. They just scratch your records. Sounds like you've been doing this for sometime, what's the condition of your vinyl?

Post Number: 2
My vinyl has been heavily used and abused and, in most cases, already scratched. I just ordered a manual for the turntable. I would like to lubricate the speed change mechanism so the needle will drop where it's supposed to for 45s and 33 1/3. I'm told that is the only fix and the adjustment screw under the tonearm is just to make slight adjustments. Any idea how to get the turntable out of the base? Thanks.

Post Number: 3
I figured out that you have to rotate the clips that hold the turntable onto the base from horizontal to vertical, so they slip through the holes. Now I'm back to square one, fixing the tone arm so that the needle drops at the beginning of both 33 1/3 and 45 records, which it doesn't now. Here's where I'm at.

Someone said:
"The cuing problem does sound like wear on an end stop which stops the arm as it swings around and allows it to drop down on the record surface and is probablly adjustable from underneath the chassis."

My reply:
"Your answer makes more sense to me than the other suggestions I have gotten regarding lubrication of the speed changing mechanism. Where do I find the end stop(s?) Are there different ones for each speed?"

If you know the answer, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us