Wall mounting tower speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Dmehling

Post Number: 13
A family member is wanting to give me a pair of their B&O tower speakers, but the room where I have all my audio equipment doesn't have much space. There really isn't any room beside my entertainment center to set the speakers. Would it make any sense to try to mount them on the wall? They are about 4 feet tall.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11930
Is it B&O day here?

Are the speakers ported?
Front or rear?

high mounting the speakers would put them far away from the intended field of sound and make things worse.
Take a pass.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I have no idea. How high is too high? It seems like I've seen a lot of speaker setups that had rather large speakers mounted high on a wall or suspended from the ceiling. Like in a theater or concert hall or church. But I guess that would be for a much larger room.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13445

Have you heard these speakers? Do you like them well enough to go to the work of making them wall mounted? If not, pass on them even if they are free unles you can come up with a better option for placement.

If the speakers are rear ported, they shouldn't be wall mounted unless you plug the port which will change the bass response of the speaker - as will wall mounting. Do you know the weight of these speakers? You can't just hang heavy stuff from drywall and expect it to stay put. Depending on the weight you might need to go directly into the studs for proper support. Can you do that and still mount the speakers where you intend them?

Mounting the speakers quite high does tend to place the tweeter at the wrong location unless you can mount the speakers upside down and/or angle the enclosure downward. As a rule tweeters are meant to point at your ear when seated to listen. If they don't work out this way, the high frequencies tend to go away.

Do you like the speakers well enough to go through the hassle? What sort of sound are you expecting from wall mounted tower speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9250
I'm with Nuck...why would you buy floorstanders and mount them on the wall? Find something else or put 'em on the floor. I have a 9ft x 10ft office with a system and have standmounts on stands...where there is a will and all that jazz.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13446

"why would you buy floorstanders and mount them on the wall?"

Because he's not buying them, someone is giving them to him - presumably without further cost or obligation. The money saved can be put into buying wall lugs for mounting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I am not buying these speakers. My dad is giving them to me. I currently have some very cheap Sony home theater speakers. The new speakers I'm getting were top-of-the-line, and cost over $1000, possibly even more. I would never be able to afford these kinds of speakers so even having them in an un-ideal setup would be far better than what I currently have. I really don't have a choice in the matter, I need these speakers. I could probably move some furniture around, but if I could wall mount them then that might make things easier. I'm not concerned about whether I should or not, I'm just wondering if it's feasible.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11936
If you can lift and mount them, then it is feasable.

Where there is a will and all that jazz...

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13451

"I need these speakers"

No, you don't, doug. You want these speakers but you don't need these speakers. Figure out what's important, guy.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9259
Where are the Sony's presently...in a bookshelf?

I guess I don't understand why they can't go on the floor, and yes I read that thee is no room on the sides of your entertainment center.

Is there anything else about the room that can change to accomodate the speakers?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13452

Doug, has your father determined the B&O speakers will work well with your present electronics? You'd hate to go to all the work of mounting these speakers and then blow them up because your amplifier isn't suited to the load.

Check this out before you say yes to this deal.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us