NAD 3020i vs Rotel RA-312 vintage amps

Username: Cenobite

Post Number: 8
Hi,
I have found both of these amps on sale in my area for very good prices and I am now torn between the two. Both have good standing as solid vintage amps, so I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which to choose.

Rotel Amp:
[url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D250387371642&ih=015&cat egory=3280%26%26]Vintage Rotel Amplifier RA-312 Hi-fi separate Amp on eBay, also Integrated Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 17-Mar-09 16:49:03 GMT)[/url]
(not the one I would be buying, just handy as it has all the info)

Nad Amp:
[url=http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/106714-nad_3020_integrated/]NAD 3020i integrated - Canuck Audio Mart[/url]
(again, link is just for the info)

I haven't decided yet whether it would be linked to an AV receiver in order to play music from the laptop already connected to it, or if it will become part of a whole separate system.

Anyway, any views or advice would be very much appreciated,
Thank you!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13437

IMO it's rather difficult to say you sould buy this amplifier or that amplifier when it is totally without context to an existing or assumed system. Both of the amplifiers, as you say, "have good standing as solid vintage amps", but that does not make them interchangeable in a system or reasonable purchases for that matter.

You should begin thinking of a system as a combination of components that work together and place no "weakest link" in the audio chain. Buy the NAD and your choice in speakers and sources is "this". Buy the Rotel and your choices will very likely be "that". Building your system with synergistic components working together results in a final system that works at a level well above its pay grade.

If you are at this point only interested in assembling a group of once well regarded components without considering how they work together, then either amplifier is equally as good as the other. You should then IMO decide based on the availability of service and parts, which in vintage gear is difficult to find. I don't believe NAD supports their earlier models with parts or factory service but I'm not certain how much backup Rotel provides. As you move toward the mass market, new model line every year companies, you'll find any product older than about six years is off their charts.

Right now you're just asking us whether you should buy the '82 Honda or the '83 Toyota. Without a real question there can be no real answer.

Post Number: 10
Thanks for the reply, as you can probably guess I am fairly new to the world of home audio and as a student I am buying as and when I can. My current speakers are some (admittedly not great) Mission 702e floorstanders. At the moment they are in service more for films than music and are attached to a Marantz SR6001 surround receiver, which could really do with some better speakers to play with.

My thinking is that even a vintage amp would likely sound better for music than something designed for movies (although I know Marantz receivers are better than many for music), so I would get one of the two amps and have them power the Missions while connected to the receiver.

If this is a completely ridiculous plan just tell me, especially if I am attempting the impossible.

Anyway, now you know a bit more does that help?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13442

How do you intend to make the connection between the receiver and the integrated amplifier? How will you control the volume of both amps in equal proportion? Does the receiver provide this facility?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I would be connecting the left and right pre-outs on the receiver to one of the inputs on the amp, which I gather should work.

As for volume I would just leave the amp at a set volume and control volume through the receiver, but since I currently only have the Missions and no surrounds for the short term that would not be a problem.

Again, if there is a glaring problem here just let me know, I am after all only a novice at this sort of thing!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13443

The NAD is approximately 20 watts per channel, I suspect the Rotel is not much more. You're giving up the 100 watts in the Marantz to drop to about 1/5 that much power? Do you have any idea whether your speakers will work well with a low powered amplifier? Given the appropriate speaker with rather high electrical sensitivity and high system efficiency, 20 watts is sufficient. However, I can't find any such specs for your Missions. Have you thought of what will happen when you buy additional speakers and pair a 20 watt amp in front with the 100 watts per channel for the rest?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us