Adcom vs anthem

Username: Mikeg7601

Post Number: 1
anyone have a opinion on this. i bought a anthem pva -7 . it was sold as 7x125. every website i look on state it as 7x105. do i keep this or return it and use 2 adcom gfa5800's 2x250 watts to bi-amp my speakers. i bought the 7 channel anthem so i could bi amp and power a center and surrounds.i was told the anthem would sound better. not so sure though anymore (since they got the specs wrong on the amp) i have a short window to return , any comments would be great.

Post Number: 2
also for consideration the pva 7 was $999 . i already own the adcomgfa5800. so i would need 1 more which runs $500.plus i would need at least another 3 channel amp for center and surrounds . estimate a adcom gfa555 at $4oo . total for adcom $1400 vs $999 for anthem.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11733
You were told the Anthem sounded better?
You havnt heard it?
Thats a hard way to fly, and the power spec, even if accurate will not matter one bit.

Post Number: 3
No , i have heard the anthem .not in my set-up. every item i have listened to a piece of equipment at a showroom and bought . at home has sounded different.if power specs are not important ? why make 105 .125 170 200.225 watt amps ? my main concern is music listening.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2392
Wattage means nothing. If the first watt sucks whats the point in having 250 of them? If your speakers are an easy load then I doubt you would ever come close to hitting near 100 watts of usage.

FWIW in my own opinion I would take a 100 watt Anthem any day over any Adcom piece. Cheers.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11738
Mikem the small incremental increases in rated power are likely accompanied by additionsl features or build strengths within a line.
And yes, every piece will sound different in your room, but generally, a product line carries a 'house' sound that manufacturers and engineers try to convey with all of their pieces.

You probably know already, but to gain a noticable increase in volume (3 db) amp output must be doubled. The last doubling can max an amp, with minimal gains in volume.
Hence the 'first watt' creedo.

More sensitive speakers do this withput an amp.
Average sensitivity is 87db. If the speakers are now 90db, you just eliminated the need to double power to achieve a certain volume.
Of course, speakers mave a max SPL at the end of the road.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us