Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2415
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96MR0NO0&show_article=1

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2213
We've seen a few music chains close up here in Canada within the last couple of years.

My local future shop just recently moved it's music section from the prominence of the front part of the shop to the back corner. Another sure sign that the traditional music model is dying a slow death.

The present economy sure isn't helping.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2382
I noticed that here too David. Future Crap use to have a huge selection of music and now its very small and pushed back about 4 rows. It has seemed that they have replaced most of it with used video games.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2215
Yup. FS actually moved a huge Blu-ray section to where the CDs used to be. Fine with me - there's very little in the way of music I can find to buy at FS anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3206
The reason why Tower closed and now Virgin is closing is their prices IMO. They typically charge $18.99 for a CD. Most new CDs go "On Sale for $15.99. Meanwhile Best Buy has them for $9.99 - $12.99. Amazon can be even cheaper.

I feel bad for the employees, but not for the company. FYE is next. How they still get customers is beyond my comprehension.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2220
I don't feel bad for the big box stores. I feel even less sorry for the record labels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2420
I totally agree with Stu.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3590
Indeed, here in the UK, Virgin went through a management buyout a couple of years ago to become Zavvi. Of course, when their main supplier - Woolworths - went to the wall, so did they...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2433
You know Woolworth's has been gone on our side of the pond for over 15-yrs.

I think their last remnants are to be found in Footlocker.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9120
Got an email from BMG Music Service that their last day for a membership service is 6/30/09...sign of the times.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us