Brass mat, outer-ring and weight - All Canadian

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 670
I came by this manufacturer on a trading post and actually purchased their weight/clamp. I've spoken to the owner and exchange emails with him and they really stand behind their product. What's interesting is they are local to me so I was able to go to the factory and see how they build this stuff. I thought their recent youtube demo was interresting and thought I would share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnzDGGAmtDo

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11672
Those guys at TT really love what they do George! Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
Yeah, I'm on first names basis with Larry, the owner. If you can believe it the factory is primarily dedicated to producing airplane parts, machined out of billet aluminum. With the economy slowdown the owner decided to get into audio accessories as he has a personal interest in audio equipment.
Really nice guy and down to earth and I won't be suprised if they grow in this economy.
As well, Larry welcomes ideas from customers and will tweak his products to meet customer needs.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1012
And how do you like the product, George?

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
The product (TT Middleweight)is high quality and works perfectly from a functional perspective; however, my TT is a lightweight Goldring GR1.2 (kinda a Rega P2 clone) and though I'm getting a tighter bass response, I'm not getting as big a result as was expected. The owner has agreed to exchange it for the full value I paid for a lighter clamp vs. the weight I'm using and believe this might provide the gains I'm looking for. There are a lot of testimonials of other clients who have received great gains. I believe the type of TT you're using and the condition of the records matters a great deal. I heavier TT with more rumble and records that are warped may result in more noticeable gains. As well, the owner suggested that the resonance frequencies of the TT and the weight need to be compatible.

Well see. All in all for the price I paid, I'm happy with the modest sound gain and the TT jewelery.

Cheers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11681
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/119124-ttmicroplatter_1860_gram_coppet_ma t_clear_coated/

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11682
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/118958-ttouter_stabilizing_ring_600_gram_ version_solid_copper/

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1013
I think I could gain more with other improvements to my tt but I'd like to give this a try.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13387

Anyone who plays LP's should find this outer ring provides an improvement in sound quality. As you play a disc look at the woofers in your speakers, chances are they are bobbling in and out and never truly operating from their ideal center position. This means the voice coil is never driven accurately. Reduce this movement in the woofer/midgrane and you'll have draatic results. Add to this the flywheel effect of additional mass at the periphery of the rotating platter and there are several benefits to be realized.

Of course, anyone with a lightly suspended table such as a Linn would be advised not to try this item.

Nuck, that looks like a HW19 in the pictures.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1014
How about the copper mat, Jan?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11685
Yup JV.
I am sure that another few pounds would not affect the beast in the least, LOL!

I am near dying to get the table set up properly again and test these things out, if there would be some benefit.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13391

I don't know about the copper mat. Metallic surfaces interfacing the underside of the the disc and the top of the platter have never been my favorite. Neither have materials that have a tendency to ring when excited by the motor vibration coming through the main bearing. And neither have any materials that do not readily absorb the reflections from the disc, though too soft can also be a problem. I suspect it must work for someone in some system or else it wouldn't be on the market. Platter mats are undoubtedly a "suck it and see what comes out" affair.

Gold Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1015
I have a torsion box with a french cleat design for my exterior wall that I need to get working on for my table to sit on. This ring looks like a nice addition to the overall setup. Thanks George and Jan.

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
Glad to help Styvn. They actually guarantee and stand by their product. Larry is very customer service oriented and will take a return less shipping.

Let us know if you decide to order anyting. I'd be interested in your opinion. All I can say is they really take pride in their product...and they are 25 minutes north of me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us