Bi amping speakers

Username: Poko

Perth, Western aust... Australia

Post Number: 2
im trying to bi-amp my speakers, their manual says it can be done and even gives a diagram on how it should be wired, which is pretty straight forward. As its going to be horizontally amped and not fully active i'll be using the passive crossover. My pre amp has to sets of outputs as the manufacturer recommends bi amping with there amps and speakers (Usher Audio) but when i set it up by the book the protection kicks in as if there is a short. checked terminals for this found nothing. checked speaker wires, nothing. spoke to the shop and they were dumd founded to. they wanted me to bring in nearly 200kg of equipment in to the store. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2199
Just throwing this out there... did you remember to remove the jumpers from the speaker binding posts before bi-amping?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13386

If the jumpers have been removed and the problem persists, connect only one half - top or bottom - of the system at a time and check for shutdown.

Bi-amping while still using the internal passive crossovers isn't the best route IMO to gain from the additional expense of two amplifiers and extra cables. Horizontal bi-amping with the internal crossover in place provides very few benefits since both amps are still running full range.

Username: Poko

Perth, Western aust... Australia

Post Number: 3
i think i might have closed in on the problem.yes and had to recheck both jumpers are removed. ive connected both amps to one speaker, one amp to the lf alone, one amp to the hf alone, one amp to lf and hf, protection kick in. then connected right channels on two amps to two speakers and it worked fine. i think it might be in the crossover.
Hi jan i managed to buy the rotel for au$1200 brand new in a sealed box it retails for au$3000 here and was interested in the power as the usher is for music and the rotel is going in to a ht system. the fiddle was more a play than for permanent. thou am dissapointed it didnt work. thanks for the info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us