To sub or not to sub?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2185
Since Chris is finding the forum slow today, I thought I would start a new thread :-)

So while I'm killing time waiting for my new McIntosh to arrive I'd like to get your guys opinion on whether I should run a sub on it.

As you probably know the speakers on my 2 channel system are (usually) Sttafs. On paper the go down to about 39 hz, give or take. Is this gonna be low enough for the kind of music I listen to (mostly metal)?

I understand it's an subjective thing, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3196
Give it a whirl is the usual advice, but...

Rock and Metal rarely go that low, frequency wise. A sub may make the bass fuller, but it probably won't need to make it go lower in frequency. If you're looking for a sub to player some Slayer and Metallica on, sacrifice depth for speed (first IMO) and fullness (2nd IMO). I'm not sure if you can get a satisfactory amount of both in a sub. The tradeoff is a matter of taste.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 647
Dave,

I'd recommend getting your dealer who sold you that Mc to give you a loaner of a decent sub that he recommends would match your system. If you're happy with the sound maybe he can offer you a good discount being how loyal you've been to him. If the sub works out and you're still craving for more bass then I'd say trade up the Totem line to the Hawks or Forests, since you love Totem so much but I'd be careful to give them a good listen because in the Totem line it's not just more of just the same but more of something a little different.
I heard a Mc run the NHT Classic 3's and those are just bookshelves and what it did for those speakers made you ignore the fact that you were not getting down to the sub 30 Hz region.
By the way, your Staffs probably go a little lower that the rated if you spec. is aneochoic. In room, with two speakers should get you closer to the 35Hz range.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2187
That's good advice guys. I'm gonna try it without the sub first when I get the Mc. It would be nice to simplify my system anyway.

I've heard various Totem bookshelves on an all Mac system at my dealer's (with no sub) and the sound was definitely not lacking in any area.

I'm sure the el-crapo sub I'm using is muddying things up anyway.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11665
Perhaps it is nobler in the room to suffer the sings and arro's of bass misfortune?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2191
The Bard of Brantford speaks...

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1788
Bard smard, Nuck is just a Rush freak in disguise. It comes out of him in ways like that.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2052
While we're on the subject, I just ordered and Anthony Gallo TR-2, a sealed 250wt sub.

As the old Krakatoa seems to have had a couple of eruptions too many, I purchased a TR-1 yesterday on the condition I could get a refund if not completely satisfied. Got a little discount for cash. Anyway, although I thought highly of the little guy, he just did not quite have the oomph. Well, sort of at times - okay for music, but a little lean on dinosaur feet stomping.

The distributor has a website and has occassional special deals on demos and old stock, got one for a little over half price, new with warranty, damaged packaging. Should be here in the next couple of days. I think this is really going to be special, judging by the TR-1.

And they are sooooooo compact and outasight.

For music I find the sub is unnecessary for my 2 channel listening (which I do mostly) as the Quads are rated down to 30hz, but with multichannel DVD-A and SACD it can make a big difference to the soundstage imo.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us