Speaker rec

Username: Oldhorsehide

Post Number: 1
I recently hooked up my old Technics turntable to a Marantz 1060 amp to transfer my old vinyl onto my home computer. Very tired of listening to the music using my computer speakers, would like to purchase speakers, new/used, appropriate for my audio setup. I used to have a decent stereo setup.........which ended up with the ex wife.
What speakers would be appropriate for a 50 year old guy; my ears have suffered through industrial noise, firearms, guitars, etc.?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11616
Welcome JP.

What kind of investment are you willing to make, and how much space are you wishing to fill with Metallica type music?

Username: Oldhorsehide

Post Number: 2
Funds are limited, $200-300, daughter in private college. Space is 14 ft by 25 ft but I live in the country....music is fairly loud.....electric blues, classic rock(Stevie Ray Vaughn), classical once in awhile. My son is a Metallica guy. Want speakers that will work with modern equipment when I upgrade.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2124
Is the budget you mentioned for speakers alone?

I really like my Paradigm Atom version 5. They cost me $260 a couple of years ago and sound great, plus they're easy to drive.

You could also look on the used market as well, if you're not adverse to that.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8974
I would recommend the Infinity Primus 362's. Sizeable floorstanders that are nearly full range. They can rock out and don't require a mammoth amp to drive. They are just a hair above the budget but punch way above that.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2382
I second the P362,

http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/InfinityPrimus.html

...but a pair of Beta 20s is still the best deal going need I remind everyone.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_Beta-20_W0QQfciZ15QQfclZ3QQfsnZHarman Q20AudioQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsubZ10225969QQsaselZ26519532QQsofpZ0

A $50 bid will most usually win you one of these gems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us