Shamefully inexperienced, need basic advice...

Username: Alicealice

Post Number: 1
Hello! i apologise in advance for my total ignorance...
I've just acquired some old bose capella speakers and am hoping to wire them up effectively in my room so that I can connect my computer (and eventually a cd player and turntable)- really just starting out in this home audio business, I have nothing but the actual speakers themselves, I'm wondering about the best way to go about the connection process... cables + amplification of some kind? thanks a million for any advice anyone can give, a

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2116
Welcome to the forum. If you want to connect these speakers to your PC (initially) you're going to need some sort of receiver or integrated amplifier to run a line out from the soundcard on your PC to the receiver/amp, which will then send the signal to the speakers.

I'm assuming this system is just going to be for listening to music?

Do you have any sort of budget in mind?

Username: Alicealice

Post Number: 4
thank you very much- to be honest at this stage I was hoping just to scout out what was available, then doing a bit of saving if necessary... nonetheless, I'm sitting pretty low on the budget scale for the moment. Any recommendations for receivers/amplifiers then? thanks again, a

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2119
I have a simple PC based system in my office that consists of a PC (obviously), an integrated amplifier (a Rotel RA-02 - bought it used for $200 bucks), and a USB digital to analog converter. This one has served me well:

http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/dac707usb.htm

The DAC provides the interface between the PC and the amplifier. It also serves to remove the PC's soundcard from the equation. I use Winamp or Foobar to play MP3 files (or preferably FLAC files).

I have no idea about what the Bose speakers are like, so I can't comment on those.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us