Naim Nait 5i and Monitor Audio Silver RS6

Username: Kerio

Romania

Post Number: 1
Hello guys,
I purchased last week next configuration:NAD C542BEE,NAD C325BEE and a pair of MA Silver RS6.
Right now I have an offer to buy a Naim Nait 5i amplifier for arround 1000 USD.
Do you think it is a semnificative improvement stepping from 325 BEE to Nait or should I keep NAD based on the rest of my system?
I am afraid of how this amplifier could mate with RS6 which are known to be bright speakers.

Thanks,

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11588
Catalin, I dont find the MA speakers to be overly bright, the RS does use a metal dome tweeter, however, which can be offensive in some room treatments.

If you like the way NAD presents the music, then you wouldnt think it was the same music with Naim.

The Naim is a significant step away from the NAD presentation, of course.
Once you start with Naim gear, it really can be a slippery slope in spending, IMO.

Romania

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your answer Nuck,
Everyone seems to agree that Nait is a significant step from NAD.
My only fear related to Naim is the hum reported by some people in the forum but I think I will take my chance and buy this one.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3563
Naim amps use fairly big toroidal transformers. Any DC component in the mains supply will cause the transformer to vibrate and therefore hum to a greater or lesser degree. Hum is usually most noticeable at peak periods. There should be no hum from the speakers, that would indicate a fault. Naim amps also hiss a bit. The hiss is not present or obvious when music is playing.

Although the Naim amp can accept any cables, you should seriously consider using it with Naim cable if you can. It makes a fair difference to most others. Also, do NOT biwire. Try to get some quality cablesnips between the biwire terminals of your RS6s instead, preferably the same as your speaker cable.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2114
Why is it a slippery slope Nuck?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2036
It's because Naim is so smoooooth David. LOL!

Romania

Post Number: 3
Dear friends,
In the end I kept the C325BEE simply because the seller changed his mind!
All this time I wondered why everybody thinks NAD has a warmer presentation while my rig was "cold", with a narrow soundstage, harsh and bass shy.
Only after I got my new pair of HD650 headphones, I realized that something is wrong with cable matching and not with the speakers/amplifier setup.
The first thing that I did was to change the existing interconnect cable (Eagle Cable MC90 - 44USD)with an old Bandridge cable left somewhere in my house.
The sound changed dramatically after cable replacement, the soundstage opened and everything was more musical than before. Along with these changes I found that was an evident loss of resolution but overall all sounded better.
Now I am stuck between choosing the right cable so I narrowed my options to these cables:
• QED QUNEX 3 (I heard that is good for NAD/MA combination)
• Chord Crimson
• Supra EFF-ISL (recommended by a friend who has same audio configuration 325BEE / MA RS6)

What would be your suggestion?
I must confess that I found a little bit of lack of high frequencies on NAD/RS6 with too much mid frequencies emphasis. Should I buy also a silver based speaker cable? I suspect also that my current cable is low quality too.
http://www.eagle-cable.com/haupt.asp?topnavi=produkte&ser=2&lab=30&lang=en
http://www.eagle-cable.com/haupt.asp?topnavi=produkte&ser=3&lab=38&lang=en

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11792
Catalin, what you are describing is what I consider to be the NAD house sound, with lots of bass.

Romania

Post Number: 4
Yes Nuck,
Is the sound I didn`t get with initial cables.
Are you familiar with this brand (Eagle Cable)?

Romania

Post Number: 5
And ,of course,any recommendations for my future cable?

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 214
I'm really liking my new Canare 4S11 speaker cable from Bluejeanscable.com. I have the IC's as well,very nice with out paying big$$.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9153
Yeah I'm going to loom up my HT with Blue Jeans...good quality on the cheap.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2276
I agree Art. I have BJ's on both my 2 channel and HT sytems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us