Bridging a pair of NAD C270's

Bronze Member
Username: Summerfest

Waterdown, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 33
Hello, I realize that there is way too many different audio componants out there and there comes a time where you just have to stop, researching and just buy.
Well, don`t ask me why but I bought two NAD C270 amplifiers used and would like to bridge them.
I pick one up tonight and the other tomorrow morning.
I have a cd player nailed down to an Arcam CD73 CDP but am still looking for a pre and speakers.
I have put out an ad on CAM looking for a NAD162 pre but nothing yet.
Speakers.........well, now thats another path again.
Love Totems in every way but I`m told by many that sonically they don`t typically mate that well with NAD equipment.
I found some magneplaners on Cam which I have commited to purchase.
What the hell, Can`t audition everything so I`ll give it a whirl as see what happens.
Anyways, can anyone see in this picture of items that is an obvious NO NO?
Thanks
Roger

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11509
Roger, which speakers are you committed to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Hi Nuck.......magneplanar mmg's.
Room dimentiones have changed since original post.
Listen room is being relocated to the basement where there is a family room APPROX 14 x 22

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11512
Use the long dimension for listening.
Who sold you the MMG's over my speakers?!?

Dude, I think you are headed for trouble, the mmg's will let you down.

Let us know when you want a sub, very good subs to mate to 1.6 and better aint cheap.
The mmg's are not a long term thing for people who like panels.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 417
The MMG's CAN be 'long-term' if done correctly. Save 'em for use as back channel speakers in a 5.1 setup, after deciding panels are for you and going up the line.
All Magnepan HT setups are supposed to be really nice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11521
Always the setup with panels..very finnicky...
The mmg's were designed to augment a flat panel tv, the 1.6 is pretty much better I think.
Much more musical, as is the rest of the range, just not for me.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 418
Tough/touchy setup....You Bet!

Properly done, however, the rewards are great. Even my original MG-1s were eye opening from first listen to last audition for the new owner....25 or so years later.

Getting bass out of panels is tough. A good (not necessarily expensive) sub is a real good idea. I did without the lowest register for over 2 decades. The 1.6's are an improvement, but not quite perfect.

The fact that the MMG's are 'small' and not necessarily for a large room and still requiring the typical Magnepan space around then.....works against this speaker.

Nuck, I'm still available for Demo here in SoCal. PM me and if your company is still buying plane tickets, give yourself an extra day. I've got 6 different Scotchs including 4 colors of JW and something made by the 'The Sixteen men of Tain'..............

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11522
ty Leo.
With the winter we are having here, you can be assured that I am begging for a few days in SoCal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Thanks for the input gents.
Again, plans changed as did the speaker type.
I went back to EHR and re-auditioned the Monitor Audio speakers with my new Donald Fagen Nightfly cd in hand......AND David Gilmour in Gdansk (sp).
Listened to the RS 5's, 6's and the 8's.
After 2 minutes of the Fagen cd I knew I was going home with SOMETHING>
Long story short, I asked if they would honor the boxing week price which they at first didn`t really want to but after a little backside kissing, I ended up purchasing their last pair of in the box, unopened RS6's in the gorgeous Rosenut color.
The cabinetry looks gorgeous to my eyes and the color is great albeit it its discontinued.
Anways, I`m sorry for coming on here and bragging but I have to tell SOMEONE who can understand the feeling I have....lol
Anyways, they are going to stay in their unopened boxes till the room is painted and my lasy two componants are purchased and I will add, they both are secured but not in hand.
Thanks guys.
Roger

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2344
That a boy Roger!!!!

What was your initial impression of the Silver RS line by MA before your purchase? Obviously you liked them. But what did you like about them?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2051
Welcome to the RS6 Rosenut club Roger! For what it's worth I think you'll be happy with the NAD 270/RS6 combo. I was running bridged NAD 272's at one point and it wasn't too shabby.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Thank you gents.
I loved the speaker when I heard it at Christmas time through the Cambridge kit and always had them in the back of my mind.
Also, I will have to be honest, I love Totem purly for how they look with that great detailed grain and solid cabinetry but was warned by many that the NAD/Totem synergy just isn`t there.
Sooooo, back to the Audio Monitor line.
Great sound, great look and that detailed wood grain that I so hoped I could find and not to mention , a great price.
I just love everything about them.
And that BEFORE they get hooked up.
I am going to complete the reno in the listening room before I hook anything up.
Keep in mind I`m starting this kit from scratch as is the listening room.
I have the paint, the pot lights,the wiring, the dimmers and a few other little goodies.
Its a spare family room we have in the basement thats totally finished, just needs a coat of fresh paint and a little audio theme.
So far in terms of the gear piled up in the corner there is off course the R6's still in boxes......two NAD C270 amps...coming this week is a NAD C162 Pre amp and possibly also at weeks end, either an Arcam CD73 or a Rega Planet 2000 cdp......
Then a audio cabinet and wires.......
Okay, I have rambled enough.
Thanks......I`ll keep you updated on the listening room.
Roger

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1744
Pics Roger, us audiophile types demand visuals when it comes to rooms and kits.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
LOL, if I took pictures now it would simply be a plain white primed room with a bunch of stereo boxes in the corners.
I am however taking pics as I progress which at this point is only emptying the room.
Pics will follow.
Roger

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
While I got you guys here may I ask what wiring I`m going to need to marry this equipment together.
Based on/
cd player, pre amp, two c270's and the rs6 speakers.
Can someone paint a picture for me as to what I will need to complete the connections......its the bridging that has me unsure.
Roger

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2053
If you're going to bridge the 270s, basically each amp is going to drive one speaker. So the L pre-amp output would go to one 270, and the R output would go to the other 270. It should be labelled on the back of the 270 which input to use in bridged mode. Then you use the indicated (hopefully) binding posts for bridged mode to the one speaker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Hi David, thanks...
So if I read it right thats:
One pair of interconnects to join cdp to pre...
another pair of interconnects to join one each from pre to amp.......
Okay, now from the amp which type of wires would I need because the speakers have the four binding posts per speaker??
I don`t know what they are called but they would have to be two rca at the amp and and 4 rca's at the speaker eand???
Is that about the size of it.
Four interconnects and a set of speaker cables.
Roger
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us