HK 3490 or NAD Viso 2

Username: Allanite

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of PSB Image 5T 6 ohms tower. Maybe will have a KEF Kube-1 but not sure. DVD player is Toshiba SD-3990. Needs a receiver so that I will have the FM Tuner with it.

I listen to a bit of everything. Pop, Country, Jazz, Rock, Disco...

For listening to Stereo music, which receiver (HK 3490 or Viso 2) will drive the towers better?

HK3490 is rated 120W per channel while Viso is rated 50W per channel. Is HK3490 much more powerful than Viso?

With the Image 5T, maybe I do not need the KEF Kube-1.

Thx

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 174
im not sure about the amp driving the speakers, but i did have an hk3490 and wasnt too impressed with its quality of sound. parts of it were muddy, non dynamic and harsh. but some people love the amp, so if you do decide to go the hk route listen to it on your speakers before you do

Silver Member
Username: Jaw

Post Number: 238
fj, agree. had an HK; dull, lifeless and boring.

BC Canada

Post Number: 2
At the shop, I was told that the PSB Image 5Ts are very easy to drive, most amps will do the job but NAD is better because of its high current. The Viso 2 will be capable of handing up to the PSB Imagine line when I decide to upgrade my speakers.

Bought the Viso 2 which has an integrated dvd player. It looks very neat in my living room without another dvd player (wife smiling).

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
PS, good to hear. Is it up and running; how does it sound?

BC Canada

Post Number: 3
After tweeking the NAD setup, and Kube-1 subwoofer added, I think I am quite satisfied. Enough clarity with soft natural bass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 240
Good for you.

Enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1736
Ping, Put this into your web search engine. http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

You will enjoy your set up more.

The next thing you need is a dedicated CD player. You will find more love for your system once you do.

All in time. Keep enjoying your progress. This hobby keeps you looking for a little bit more.

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 177
psb speakers are a sister concern of nad and therefore pair very well with eachother. enjoy the music ping

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2363
I have the HK3485 and I think it's superb. Given I haven't heard the HK3490, but I'm going to presume it's very much akin to the HK3485 with a few more bells & whistles thrown in.

The HK3485 has plenty of headroom, great instrument separation & sound-stage, and handles bass with the best of them. The HK sound is dead neutral, IMHO.

I would suggest anyone that considers this receiver "muddy" check other variables.

Having said all this, I do generally prefer the NAD sound, which is slightly colored & warmer; but I have not heard the VISO.

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
Ping bought the NAD, that's good, imo.

Also, I have no problems with my variables; every other amp/AV in my system (Yamaha, Cambridge, NAD and Onkyo) were superior, imo, to HK.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 177
I have an HK 3485 in my living room setup for 2-channel. I compared it in the same setup with a denon 3805 and an onkyo 805. I prefered the denon and onkyo for 2-channel over the HK hands down. The HK was lifeless in a direct comparison imo. The denon and onkyo were both much more dynamic and powerful sounding throughout the spectrum.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us