Subwoofer hookup, need help

Username: Rob_zee

Post Number: 1
I just ordered the Sony 720 home theater 7.1 surround sound receiver,it has a plug-in for the subwoofer, but I have an older subwoofer which has the old red and black put in the speaker wire style. Monoprice doesnt sell that type of cable, any suggestions?

Username: Dkolis

Lindenhurst, NY USA

Post Number: 4
What you have is a passive subwoofer. It needs to be powered separately. If you must stick with the subwoofer you have, then buy an inexpensive amp ( mine is the audiosource 100, about $100 ). I have the same sony720. You run an rca "y" plug from the 720 sub output to the amp line inputs and then speaker wire from the amp to the sub.

Username: Poko

Perth, Western aust... Australia

if i'm not to late a reply try redgum audio's plate amps australian made with your exchange rate you could get a 1000wrms amp with a damping factor of >1600 for about us$500

Username: Scottfox

D/FW, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
I agree with Dennis- get an inexpensive outboard amp for your older passive sub. Beau, I don't think it's wise to spend $500 to power an older subwoofer unless it is of exceptional quality. For $500, or a lttle more, he could get an excellent powered sub from SVS HSU or ed. A little more gets better from same companies and adds the MFW15 & EPIK into the possibilities. That's where I'd lay down my hard earned Dollars. Got the HSU VTF2.3 for $529 with shipping. IT ROCKS!

Username: Dunn666

hey i went to hook up a buddy's nuance sub woofer towers! there are 2 of them and they have other speakers in them! unfortunately only the bottom sub is pounding and only when we hook speakers up to the high pass terminals! is there something i missed? like the low pass is hooked with rca's to the sub out on the receiver! does anyone know how to make the other speakers in the tower work??

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12098
A model and a pic would help, ll.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us