B&W speakers

Username: Randy101

Post Number: 8
803 vs 802 B&W speakers..Are the 802's worth the extra 5K over the 802's. Has anybody heard both speakers?How do they compare?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8789
Spending that kinda money Randy...don't listen to us listen to your ears.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 881
You might want to post it www.audiogon.com
There are more hifi people there who will give you good advices.

After certain point, law of diminishing return sets in - you have to spend much much more to gain a little in quality.

So I would stop at certian point, and just enjoy the music. Many audiophiles get caught up in love of hifi gears, and get the constant upgrade bug - and dig too deep into their bank account.

Consider buying them gently used at www.audiogon.com and save a lot of money -

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl

This way, when you want to upgreade and sell it, you won't lose too much money by selling it on the audiogon.

You can buy 803 for 802 price there.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2332
U work for Audiogon James?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2030
Doesn't matter if you're asking people on agon or here, it all comes down to what you like, and what you're willing to spend to get there.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 882
No I don't work for agon Nick.
I was a poor musician, with a passion for music on a tight budget, most of my life - although lately it's been getting better.

So I want to share my experience of striving for quality sound on a tight budget.

I went to a music music performing college so I heard Steinway pianos and Stradivarius violins alive, so my ear is spoiled - but I don't have the money to buy Hifi that comes close to those sounds.

After chasing the sonic dream for a long time now, I got off the ever upgrading bug, and just try to to enjoy the music.

I think I was seduced by the gears themselves, and lost the sight of music appreciation.

Now I am back to just enjoying the music with whatever system I have at the moment - I found out there is some enjoyment tobe had, even on a humble mid-fi system.

I had to laugh when I cam across a boombox that I actually enjoyed listening to - and made me rethink hifi.

I used to buy on the ebay, but too many gears were not in good functional quality - so I now buy on the audiogon and the audioasylum.

I am just trying to share with others my experience of squeezing quality out of limited budget - which is what some of the posters seem to want in their mid-fi ambitions.

I think there is quite a bit of enjoyment tobe had in mid-fi, if you choose wisely - and you don't have to break your bank account chasing after hifi dreams - which never quite sound like live music anyway no matter how much you spend.

I love audio - it's a hobby of mine, because it's also related my work - it will make me a better musician.

I want to invite people to this exciting hobby, and share what I know ( which is not as much as many audiophiles I come across ), but some people coming to this sight for advices for the first time, seem to want the same thing I do - mid-fi ambition on a budget that doesn't leave the bank account dry.

So whenever I have some time and want to relax, I hang around audiophiles and learn and share what I know - it's fun and relaxing for me - and it's also a bid of calling of mine I feel like - sharing beauty.

I think beauty makes us a better, happier person.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11492
I think beauty is found on knees in front of me.

But thats just me.

Oh, but I sing or hum loudly...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11493
And the difference between the 803 and the 802 is the load presented to an amplifier.

The 802 (not the D) is a robust speaker with wildy impetuous phase shift, which is not always predictable between frequencies. A little wild, which is why lasse directs owners to the utmost amps with bizarre power ratings, tiny slew rates and huge amounts of dynamic headroom.

The 803 is more tame.

I came close to buying each a while back, but a Classe ca300 amp would service neither with aplomb.

Post Number: 9
Our local B&W dealer does not have either the 802D or 803d to listen to, they did have a set of Paradigm S8's, which sounded better than my Kef 107'S, the S8'S are a little cheaper than the B&W 803'S, but i prefer the B&W name.Has anybody heard either B&W'S? And are the 802D'S worth the extra 5K?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11504
You prefer a name, Randy?!?

Then I suggest renting Crystal or Ginger for an evening and listen to her.

Dude, you can't be serious (which is why I went the sarcastic route).

If you were even remotely familiar with any of these models (the speakers, I mean) then you would not have to ask.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3529
I have heard the 800 series speakers (all of them) at one time or another, on the end of quite substantial systems. The most impressed I've been has been in a particularly discerning customer's lounge where he had 800Ds being driven by a pair of Chord 14000 monoblocks. It was truly revelatory, but was it good enough that I couldn't imagine better? No. And the source of the system being held back? The 800Ds.

Although they are undoubtedly good value (irrespective of what you think of such things being 'value') I find that B&Ws all exhibit a similar tonal character which a) only really gets going when played at a fairly loud level and b) has a deep but decidedly cabinet-sounding bass. By comparison, a pair of Dynaudio Temptations have a whole lot less colouration, less character, but also have their own foibles.

Either way, my experience with 803s and 802s is that they really need a fairly powerful amplifier with significant current capability to make them sound any good - and they need to be in an environment that allows them to breathe. Large rooms (at least 18ft on a side) are de rigeur.

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11508
Frank, thats why they use Classe power.

What else have you heard the big B&W's on?

Post Number: 10
Thanks Frank for your answer.

I can't say the same for Nuck! It sounds like he should be chained up in Ginger or
Chystal's back yard so he can howl at the moon.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2340
I agree with Nuck though Randy. You don't buy a speaker because it has B&W on it. Buy it because it sounds best to your ears. If the S8's sound better to you than the 802/803's then buy them. Paradigm has a very good name as well.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3535
Nuck,

Classe, Chord, Naim, err...Rotel!

The Rotel and Classe systems just didn't do it for me. I know people would love those combinations so I appreciate this is a taste thing. The Chord systems are so powerful they even make the Classes sound silly so that's why I mentioned my customer above. then there's the Naim combination. Sometimes sounds great, other times less so simply due to the 800-series' crazy impedance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us